October 31, 201114 yr The way the one thread sounded a couple of months ago they were doomed! Now the young guys are playing good? I said it back then, I'll say it now, Steelers aren't a bad team and will not be a bad team. In fact, they are a good team and I could see them being a good team for the next decade just like the last decade, the decade before that, and the decade before that. I just thought a lot of Steelers fans were lining up to take the plunge way too soon and it is looking like that way. Most of those young guys they had behind the 35+'s can play some ball, I think Worilds has the potential to be the next solid Pittsburgh linebacker to step up. Lot of other good young players on the defensive side of the ball as well. Then of course your now young in the receiving department with Wallace and Brown. Ben's got some years left in him, they have Pouncey to anchor the line for years to come. Everythings going to be alright in Steel City. They have some serious contract hurdles to overcome. That's not debatable. Some of this issues need to be addressed/eliminated or there will be no way to maintain, even with solid drafts.
October 31, 201114 yr I hope that LeBeau keeps a similar game plan defensively when all the guys are healthy, mixing it up the way he did yesterday. I think there are times he gets a bit stagnant waiting on Harrison and Woodley to pressure the QB. He was far more creative and played way less zone yesterday. Corners played fairly well and were physical. Still a MASH unit. The biggest difference in this team is the CB play. Ike is having a pro bowl type year and Lewis is finally showing the potential we kept hearing about. I'm not a William Gay fan, but he has also played well...
October 31, 201114 yr You are right. I not only didn't like him and his circus act, but I LOATHED him and the entire Bengals organization. I guess that is why I am enjoying this season so much. Good riddance to all of the egos and welcome to a bunch of guys who care more about playing football than marketing themselves. You completely contradict yourself with the bolded comments. Especially saying how you always have not liked him. How easy it is to forget when Chad use to only care about football. Remember people use to talk about how he would stay the night at the stadium alot just to be around football and worrying about becoming the best. It was during those years 2003-2007 when Chad was one of the best receivers in football and led the AFC 4 straight years in yards. It was after the 2007 season when he first demanded his trade, and it was during that time when his focus started to go away from football and more on himself and his life outside of football. Yes Chad always had his touchdown celebrations, and his checklist. However he use to do those things when completely focusing on football, which is what you said you liked about these guys. So I can understand if you didn't like the Chad from the last few years, but don't act like he was always like that. He use to be a guy who only cared about football and loved playing the game and having fun with it.
October 31, 201114 yr Oh and where's all the Steelers fans who were writing them off and saying they were finished earlier in the year? Wasn't there a whole thread about it, saying they were too old, etc? What's all the Steelers fan's saying now? You guys still worried or have you finally came off the ledge and realized they won't be so bad after all? One thing that is crazy to me is the offense. I would have never imagined a scenario where a Steelers team would be going to such a passing offense. For them to be controlling opponets with their passing game just scares me in a way, if they can keep doing that and playing solid D they are going to be a tough out. NFL has turned into a QB's league when it used to all be about defense and the run game. It's just weird to me to see the Steelers air it out so much as opposed to that smash mouth run it down your throat approach I grew up watching. Have to give Tomlin a lot of credit though. Offense was looking a little stale earlier in the season, people were very critical of Mendenhall and the run game, and Tomlin switches some things up and goes to more of a heavier air attack and starts to win ball games and put points on the board. Those adjustments to play calling and offensive philosophy have saved the Steelers season IMO. Don't know if Ben can sustain and lead them through a big play off run with that philosophy, but to pump some life back into the team and win some ball games it sure has worked thus far. The OL was terrible then, and still not great. Steelers resigned Starks (huge move!!!) and he has played than he did last year before getting injured. They still need to draft a couple more OL to improve the running game. This New England game was nice, but this weeks game is "the game"... Yesterday we had another injury to our LB's losing Woodley who is having a huge year. Having 3 of the 4 LB's out going against Baltimore does not look good...
October 31, 201114 yr The biggest difference in this team is the CB play. Ike is having a pro bowl type year and Lewis is finally showing the potential we kept hearing about. I'm not a William Gay fan, but he has also played well...Much improved, I agree.
October 31, 201114 yr Exactly. Ocho may not be what he once was but to act like he has sucked all along is just absurd. The New England system is one of the hardest systems in football to learn and with the extended lockout he didn't have time to do so in the off season. Once the season starts its all about game planning for the team your playing on Sunday so not a lot of time to fully grasp the system there either. So much of the Pats offense is feel and getting aquainted with Brady, obviously guys like Welker, Hernandez, and Grodkowski have worked out incredible timing with Tom. It may take Ocho a little while before he ever catches on and makes an impact like those guys, may never happen. BUT, I think he still has enough for one late career run if he can get a couple of the things they do down pat. I don't buy the New England system being to hard to learn. Randy Moss came right in and learned it, Deion Branch came back and his first week went right back into it. Gronkowski and Hernadez were rookies and learned it right away, Welker in his first year with them learned it right away. There have been plenty of people in their first year who learned it. He just hasn't been the same since his focus went away from football. He has lost a step. I do think he will eventually contribute though.
October 31, 201114 yr The OL was terrible then, and still not great. Steelers resigned Starks (huge move!!!) and he has played than he did last year before getting injured. They still need to draft a couple more OL to improve the running game. This New England game was nice, but this weeks game is "the game"... Yesterday we had another injury to our LB's losing Woodley who is having a huge year. Having 3 of the 4 LB's out going against Baltimore does not look good... Farrior should be back which will allow Timmons to be on Woodley's side if he can't go. And maybe Worilds will be healthy. I'm glad Flacco is still Flacco. It's Rice we need help with. Glad Hampton is back. He's gonna get chopped all day.
October 31, 201114 yr I read that Harrison would be out until after the bye, did you read otherwise? Buchette said he will be evaluated this week, but thinks its an outside shot.
October 31, 201114 yr If the Steelers can survive to the bye, they should be able to get somewhat healthy...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.