Covington Catholic 6 Campbell County 1

Theoldguy

CovCath defeat Campbell County in a game played in the rain by a score of 6-1 at the Florence Freedom Field.

Severson did an outstanding job especially when you consider pitching in the rain and held the Camels to only 1 run on 4 hits.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly plus, PeeWee's Place Star of the game, Gruber Grill Defensive Star and BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game, stats and more coming soon.

The Good: Playing baseball even in the rain, is better than not playing. Thanks to Mr. Clint Brown and his staff at the Florence Freedom and to the men in Blue for working in the rain tonight. While it never poured it also never stopped.

The Bad and Ugly: Will this rain ever stop?

Gruber Grill Defensive Star of the game: CovCath didn't commit an error tonight and usually playing with playing such a wet ball, a team will commit some errors but tonight the Colonels "D" was impressive. Theoldguy wants to extend his congratulations to Seattle Stein and Jake Lankheit for their hard work on the defensive side of the ball tonight. Both did a very good job...

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: Tonight I go with Michael Best who walked twice had a triple with three rbi's and scored a run. Best hit a shot into the hole between Center and Right and had a easy triple but the CF (IMO) bobbled the ball around too much to give Best an inside the park HR. Best indeed showed his speed on the base paths and even if the CF hadn't bobbled the ball I think he would have tried for the inside the park HR.

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: Got to go with Corry Severson. Sevvy throwing was just tough to hit and did a masterful job of shutting down the Camels in earning his third win of the season.

CovCath pitching:

Severson W (3-1) 7 complete innings 99 pitches 27 PA 1 run 1 earned run 4 hits 3 walks and 5 K's (2 looking)

Remember this was in a all game drizzle to light steady rain, really considering the conditions it was a masterful outing.

CovCath hitting:

Best 4 PA 1 run 1 hit (triple) 3 rbis 2 walks and 1 cs

Schneider 4 PA 1 hit (double) 1 walk 1 K and 1 fc

Lankheit 4 PA 1 hit and 1 fc

Severson 4 PA 1 walk 1 K and reached base via E-6

Grosser 3 PA 1 hit 1 walk 1 cs and 1 fc

Fagel 1 PA

Fagel PR 1 run scored

Schreiver 4 PA 1 run scored 1 hit 1 rbi 1 K and 1 sb

Rolf 3 PA 2 runs scored and 2 walks

Nienaber 2 PA 1 K and 1 Nutini (hbp)

Maile 1 run scored and reached base via E-4

Stein 3 PA 1 hit 1 rbi and 1 walk

CovCath improves their record to 15-2 and next plays in the Louisville Invitational Tournament @ Louisville Seneca in Louisville, Kentucky on Friday night @ 6pm vs. Christian Academy - Louisville. On Saturday at the same location, CovCath plays Louisville Seneca @ 11am and then Lexington Bryan Station at 1:30pm.

Who pitched for the Camels? Who umped the game?

Campbell County pitching

#14 Rebholz L 4 innings 92 pitches 4 hits 3 runs 3 earned runs 6 walks 4 K's 1 hbp and 1 wp

#27 Huesman 2 innings 38 pitches 2 hits 3 runs 2 earned runs and 2 walks

Sorry, no idea....

Campbell County pitching

#14 Rebholz L 4 innings 92 pitches 4 hits 3 runs 3 earned runs 6 walks 4 K's 1 hbp and 1 wp

Sorry, no idea....

4 hits in 4 innings isn't bad. 7 additional batters on via walk/hbp makes it a challenge.

Is Rebholz a lefty?

Just my opinion from a scoring standpoint, but if Best was going to attempt the inside the park homerun regardless of whether or not you think the CF bobbled the ball, then wouldn't that still be an inside the park homerun? It was always my belief that you cannot assume a relay play would end in an out, so if he was going to go anyway, the fact that he made it would result in an inside the park homerun.

For the record, I believe he would have made it regardless. It appeared that the hustle Best was showing around the bases did not match the hustle going after the ball once it got past the CF.

Congratulations to CCH on a WET&SOGGY win. Colonels played well, all around. Too many free bases given by the Camels, along with some lack luster defense. Conditions were terrible for both teams, but at least it was baseball. 2nd game for the Camels in past 13 days. Looks like some better days coming. TOG, nice to meet you.

I got there to watch last few innings of varsity game and all of jv game. It has to be tough to pitch on that field when it's wet. Saw at least 5 or 6 walks in 2 1/2 innings of varisty game and I'll bet there were 20+ in jv game. One pitcher threw 7 or 8 straight one hop fastballs to catcher. It really rained hard for about 2 innings of that game, I was suprised they kept going. I would not want to have a regional game affected by weather if I'm a coach. Even when it stops raining, that doesn't make the ball any easier to grip. Not to mention the kids sliding 5' past the bases. Great place to watch and when it's dry it is ok but when it's wet, it's completely different from what these teams are used to.