Covington Catholic 10 Newport Central Catholic 6

Was not at the game due to work...

Shumate started and at times I was told was outstanding.

Maile was the winning pitcher.

CovCath won the game in the top of the seventh when they scored two runs on a double squeezed.

CovCath is now 1-0 and is to play Louisville Trinity at Ryle High School Saturday April 2nd at 1:30pm weather permitting.

Note: if I posted the score wrong, I am indeed sorry but I received the information while driving home in the pouring down rain.

Was not at the game due to work...

Shumate started and at times I was told was outstanding.

Maile was the winning pitcher.

CovCath won the game in the top of the seventh when they scored two runs on a double squeezed.

CovCath is now 1-0 and is to play Louisville Trinity at Ryle High School Saturday April 2nd at 1:30pm weather permitting.

Note: if I posted the score wrong, I am indeed sorry but I received the information while driving home in the pouring down rain.

For those that were there:

TOG says "at times" in regards to Shumate. What about the other times? How did he do overall?

Describe the squeeze. Did they have a runner on 2nd and 3rd and the runner from 2nd scored on the throw to first?

Who hit well?

Congrats to the Colonels on the W.

I work with a guy who is good friends with Schumate's dad and he was telling me today about how excited young Schumate and his father were about him being the "opening day" starter for the Colonels.

For those that were there:

TOG says "at times" in regards to Shumate. What about the other times? How did he do overall?

Describe the squeeze. Did they have a runner on 2nd and 3rd and the runner from 2nd scored on the throw to first?

Who hit well?

I can tell you that the runners were on second and third. You know me Clyde if I were there, I would have a complete report but my work schedule has made Baseball impossible to attend this season so far.

Is CCH the only team that has one game under their belt?

Clyde really, what does it matter how many games at the moment? You are only allowed to play X number of games and with the early spring weather in NKy, it's a crap shoot to get a lot of games in the first week or two of the season in. Krumps will get his games in no matter what the weather later in the season and the Colonels will be ready for the District.

Clyde really, what does it matter how many games at the moment? You are only allowed to play X number of games and with the early spring weather in NKy, it's a crap shoot to get a lot of games in the first week or two of the season in. Krumps will get his games in no matter what the weather later in the season and the Colonels will be ready for the District.

What does it matter? Absolutely nothing. It wasn't a criticism but, rather, a real question. Does CCH always start later than other schools (fully realizing they get all of their allotted games in)?

2010 first game was against HC on Mar 27

2009 first game was against HHS on Mar 27

2008 first game was against LexCath on Mar 27 which BTW goes down as the coldest HS Baseball game that I have ever attended. 34 Degrees with a 35mph breeze blowing in at LexCath with blowing rain and sleet.

2007 first game was against HC Mar 27

2006 first game against HHS April 1st

2005 April 5th vs Cin McNicholas

2004 April 4th vs HC

2003 March 31 vs Scott

2002 March 28 vs Reed Custer Ill.

I am totally embarrassed as here I am giving a link to a CovCath Baseball game. Darn work!....

Link

NKy.com and my friend Richard Skinner......

While Covington Catholic baseball coach Bill Krumpelbeck wouldn't mind his young team making a habit of coming from behind to win this season, Newport Central Catholic coach Jeff Schulkens is hoping his team isn't going to make it a habit of blowing leads.

CovCath, which had seven juniors and only two seniors in its starting lineup, rallied from a 6-2 deficit it faced through five innings with a run in the sixth and seven runs in the seventh to defeat NewCath 10-6 Friday at Morscher Park in Silver Grove.

It was CovCath's season opener, while NewCath (2-2) blew a late 6-2 lead for the second time in the last three games.

The irony was CovCath blew a 2-1 lead with some shoddy defense in the bottom of the fifth that led to NewCath scoring five runs to take the 6-2 lead.

Krumpelbeck gathered his players around him for a pep talk after that inning in which the Colonels committed two errors. "They were scared basically," said Krumpelbeck. "It wasn't a time to get on guys. I needed to stay positive. We're young, but they love the game and they work hard. They really weren't down on themselves. They were really pretty positive. Some teams would have folded and quit. They're pretty confident young guys."

The game had been a pitchers' duel between CovCath senior Adam Shumate and NewCath senior Brian Doyle through the first four innings as each allowed just one run and two hits.

CovCath took a 2-1 lead in the top of the fifth on a two-out RBI double to left center by junior catcher Jake Lankheit.

For the rest of the article use the link at the top.

A looping single to right off the bat of Corey Severson followed and then the Colonels scored the final five runs without hitting the ball out of the infield. They got a walk to load the bases, an infield single to plate the tying run, a fielder's choice to plate another and an infield single to make it 8-6, before junior shortstop Seattle Stein executed a perfect squeeze bunt with runners on second and third to score the final two runs.

I just love small ball.. BTW the Louisville Trinity game at Ryle High School is indeed on for today!