January 28, 201115 yr Also Jeff Fisher had 6 winning seasons out of 16, just saying. I like Fisher but he is as overrated as anyone I can remember. 6 of 16 is bad.
January 28, 201115 yr Fisher has been solid, but nothing spectacular. 1 Superbowl appearance and missing the playoffs virtually 67% of the time. I do think he is well respected in the NFL community and amongst players, but most know Bud Adams has not been the best of owners when it came to surrounding Fisher with talent. Speaking of which, does anyone remember that Randy Moss went to the Titans mid-season? Talk about finding the Bermuda Triangle. I think Fisher is a great football coach. If you want to look at the bottom line and say he had 6 winning seasons, fine. I could counter and say he only had 6 losing seasons. But, I consider the bolded, and I consider that other than the few years when Steve McNair was playing at a high level, Fisher never had anything more than an adequate QB to work with. And, in those seasons when McNair provided him with a QB that was more than just adequate, the Titans were really good. Begin with McNair's second season as a starter and go through 2003, which was the last full season he played for Tennessee. 1998 - 8-8 1999 - 13-3 (lost in Super Bowl) 2000 - 13-3 (lost to eventual Super Bowl Champion Ravens in playoffs) 2001 - 7-9 2002 - 11-5 (lost to Raiders in AFC Title Game) 2003 - 12-4 (lost to eventual Super Bowl Champion Patriots in playoffs) In that stretch Fisher was 64-32 (5-4 in the playoffs), and three times they lost to the eventual Super Bowl winner. Twice he had to oversee re-building the roster, first when he took over and then after the nucleus of McNair, George and Kearse were gone. One thing I do agree with though is that Vince Young was ultimately the undoing of Fisher. That's the owners fault, not his. And, the fact that he had that team competitive and in the playoffs twice with Vince Young and Kerry Collins is pretty impressive. Nobody wins consistently without good QB play. When Fisher had a good QB, his production was very similar to a guy like Andy Reid.
January 28, 201115 yr With all due respect to 5Wide and any other Titan fans, I'm not sure that this is a huge loss. Like it was stated above, blow it all up. They haven't been as good as I thought they should have been or at a minumum, not nearly as consistent. I think the QB situation was what ultimately sank the Fisher ship. I'm not sure either. I suppose it depends on how good his replacement turns out to be. But, if he's forced to start Vince Young, my guess is he won't last very long.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.