December 10, 201015 yr Get over your dislike of the messenger and digest the message itself. If anything, you Wildcat fans should be upset at the rest of your conference brethren for having to carry their water at the turnstiles and make the SEC seem like a legit hoops conference. Unless you're going to try and make the baseless argument that folks in the south care about anything but football. My point is that it is pretty much the same everywhere. Every conference has it's Auburn. Heck Michigan and Penn State both average over 107,000 in football, top two in the nation, yet for hoops they only bring in 11,725, and 8,150 respectively. I don't see how it is much different that the SEC. I realize that the differnce in attendance (exlcuding UK) between the Big 10 and SEC is significant, but again if you factor in larger institutions located within greater populated areas, I don't think it is as big as an indicator of apathy as you suggest. No one is disputing that football isn't king, in the SEC, but football is king everywhere.
December 10, 201015 yr My point is that it is pretty much the same everywhere. Every conference has it's Auburn. Heck Michigan and Penn State both average over 107,000 in football, top two in the nation, yet for hoops they only bring in 11,725, and 8,150 respectively. I don't see how it is much different that the SEC. I realize that the differnce in attendance (exlcuding UK) between the Big 10 and SEC is significant, but again if you factor in larger institutions located within greater populated areas, I don't think it is as big as an indicator of apathy as you suggest. No one is disputing that football isn't king, in the SEC, but football is king everywhere. Penn St. has never been any count in hoops -- they're more like an SEC school than a Big Ten school in that regard, but to only halfway fill Bryce Jordan on a regular basis is pretty weak. Michigan, on the other hand, has been a struggling program for several years. When they were good, however, they were packing Crisler. If they got back to a decent level, I bet they'd be packing it again. If you'll scroll down a bit in the linked report, you'll notice that in the 2009-10 season, UK had the fourth-largest per game attendance increase over 08-09. Not coincidentally, UK was struggling (by its usual standards) until last season.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.