South Oldham / Grant County predictions

Who wins???  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

• South Oldham Dragons (5-2, 1-1)
    • Grant County Braves (2-4, 0-1)

South Oldham (5-2, 1-1) travels to Dry Ridge to take on the Grant County Braves (2-4, 0-1) this Friday.

Who wins? South saw its four-game winning streak snapped last Friday night at the hands of rival Oldham County, 40-19. Grant County is trying to halt a three-game losing skid after dropping a 15-7 heartbreaker at the hands of Bourbon County last week.

South is led by RB Michael Gray, who comes into the game with 642 yards on 100 carries, with 5 TDs. Sophomore QB Jack Sherry is a tall, strong-armed passer who is coming into his own...he's thrown for 709 yards, with 9 TDs and 5 INT. WR Jacob Lamb is averaging an obscene amount of yards per catch - he has 9 catches for 256 yards, and 5 of those catches have gone for scores.

Grant County will try to slow the Dragons' attack with a defense that is allowing just 16.5 ppg. Offensively, the Braves will probably try to win with their running game, but they will likely need some production from their air attack, which has yet to produce a TD.

South leads the series this decade, 6-1, and defeated the Braves last season, 28-7, in Crestwood. Grant County's lone win came in 2008, when they whipped South, 39-14.

Mike Davis is in his sixth season as the head man at Grant County, and he took the Braves to back-to-back winning seasons in 2007 and 2008, before falling to 3-7 last year. Jamie Reed is the first-year coach at South; a win over the Braves would give him a 6-2 mark at the school and guarantee the Dragons their first winning season since 2006.

Class 5A District 4 standings heading into this game:

Oldham County 1-0

South Oldham 1-1

Jeffersontown 1-1

Anderson Co. 1-1

Grant County 0-1

Oldham County plays Jeffersontown on Friday in the other district matchup.

The South Oldham - Grant County game will be broadcast on the Pegasus Sports Network, beginning with a pregame show at 7 pm. Go to http://www.pegasussportsky.com and click on one of the school logos; then click on the "South Oldham vs. Grant County" game listing under either "live broadcasts" or "archived broadcasts" (if you choose to listen to the delayed broadcast)

South O by 10.

What about the South D? :lol:

But seriously...

I have a great deal of respect for what Mike Davis has done in Dry Ridge, but I just can't see this one being close. Davis has done a lot to create a new image of the football program at Grant, and it's reflected in the success they've started to achieve. I believe the back-to-back winning seasons in 2007-8 were the first back-to-back winning seasons for the Braves in a long, long time. He has the Braves on the right track, obviously. But I don't think he has the horses this year.

To compound matters for the Braves, they get the Dragons right after South suffered their worst defeat of the season, a 40-19 drubbing at the hands of their county rivals in Buckner. This is a good Dragon team that is very angry right now. I'm sure Davis would have much rather seen South beat Oldham and come in on an emotional high and perhaps a little overconfident. Instead, he gets a team that has a chip on its shoulder and which will undoubtedly be re-focused on the job at hand by SOHS coach Jamie Reed...

South by a bundle.