Lawrence County

Pride

I want this topic to be positive. I am curious as to what happened with Lawrence this season. I think most of the fans were expecting a fantastic season. In an objective manner (without blasting the coaches) can anyone let the fans know their oppinions on why this team wasn't quite able to get over the hump?

I want this topic to be positive. I am curious as to what happened with Lawrence this season. I think most of the fans were expecting a fantastic season. In an objective manner (without blasting the coaches) can anyone let the fans know their oppinions on why this team wasn't quite able to get over the hump?

I believe it could be because they played alot of good young players. I think they will turn the corner next year.

I believe there was some internal problems with the coaching staff and players leading to their star player quiting.

I believe you are wrong there. The "star player" you are referring too and another player got into trouble at school and both were dismissed from the team because of the conduct at the school. I will not go into details cause this is not the place for this.

As far as internal problems, I do not know of any other than a few parents were upset with the handling of the "star players" first incident where he left the team before the Belfry game and his reinstatement. But to my understanding it the coaches asked the players on what to do and the decision was made to allow him back on the team then.

Lawrence County will and should turn the corner next year, now that doesn't mean the will win the district but you will see a better offensive team and an improved defense which show flashes of being good this year. Billy Goldsmith is the right person for this job and his assistants have stood by Lawrence County the past few seasons even with all the turmoil from the last staff and for that I personally thank them for staying and helping restoring the glory of Lawrence County Football.

I dont think you can look at Lawrence Counties problem without taking a glance at the coaching staff. For example( and I know coach Goldsmith took full credit for this but still ) You dont run a fake punt on your opposing teams 30 or 40 yard line, and you really dont do it when youve got Tony Loves Ashland defense on the other side of the ball. Just little things like that hurt the Bull Dawgs a lot this season. But other things hurt them as well, they are young, and Goldsmith is a great coach and I have a lot of respect for the man, and theres no doubt in my mind that Lawrence County will be back in the hunt in no time.

How many starters will they lose?

They have about 11 or 12 seniors on the team with two being dismissed from the team and I believe only 4 or 5 others actually started. So if you count the last two games of the season they actually will have at least 17 starters back for next season and an majority of them will be only juniors.

I beleive that LC has a good staff and that they will get back on track, fans need to remember that Goldsmith is of the oldschool and does not believe in a quick he wants to win with kids that have earned it, and have done the right things. This attitude is sometimes very hard on a staff and its supporters. Good luck to the Dawgs next season.

How good were they in 2000?

Do you know anything about LC football?

Actually it was the 1999 team with Seniors Gerad Parker and Alan Short and company that graduated in 2000.

And they were very good that year, beating Belfry at Belfry by 40 or so points. Beat Bell @ Bell by 32, Beat Rockcastle @ Rockcastle by 34. The only loss that year in the regular season, was an very hard fought emotional game against Sheldon Clark. There went all the way to the 3A state semi-finals and loss to Highlands pretty bad 76 -36. But in that game LC turned the ball over inside their own 30 ,4 times in the first half and even outgained Highlands in yardage for the whole game.