North Oldham 2010/2011

Going to be an interesting year for the Mustangs.

The obvious big plus is having Dave Henly from Covington Holmes as the Mustangs new head coach. Looks to be a huge trade up from the past coaching staff.

On the court..... Devon Rowan is a 6'7 big man that should grow into a real force this year.

Max Steinfeld is a 6'1 Senior guard that should run the show for the Mustangs and compliment Rowan very well.

Steinfeld has great court skills and shooting ability yet had been streaky early last year and then went on a tear late season with all District and all region tourney honors. Junior Jacob Clark has "all world" talent and physical skills. If he gains some confidence he can be a force.

Watch out for Sophomore Kyle Kozak. Huge gains in his physical growth and court skills may have this 6'5 as a big sleeper talent for the eighth region and could add a nice resource for the Mustangs off the bench.

Rowan is an absolutely freak at his position and will be one of the 2-3 best big men in the Region this year - and frighteningly, he's still just an underclassman. In broadcasting games last year when opponents tried to man up on Rowan, he was almost unstoppable around the basket, and wound up averaging about 18 ppg / 12 rebounds as a sophomore.

Very impressed by the development of Steinfeld, who seemed to come out of nowhere as an offensive force for North late in the season last year. He will be a key contributor for North - or they will struggle.

North has a number of other athletes who could round the team into a real scrappy team under the new leadership. I liked Clark's hustle last year; but he appeared to lack confidence in his offensive game and they will likely need some points from him. Kozak moves up from JV and gives them height and athleticism, but will likely need to add a few pounds and some more aggressiveness to his game. He has a lot of raw potential. The Mustangs could really use him; when Rowan was out of the game last year, North was almost painfully small.

Seniors Johnny Clausen, Nathan Yates, and junior Kameron Shams look to provide point guard leadership...all three started part of last year.

As a team, North will certainly have to improve the defense over last year's unit, which was one of the region's highest-scoring teams, but which also gave up oodles of points.

Rowan is an absolutely freak at his position and will be one of the 2-3 best big men in the Region this year - and frighteningly, he's still just an underclassman. In broadcasting games last year when opponents tried to man up on Rowan, he was almost unstoppable around the basket, and wound up averaging about 18 ppg / 12 rebounds as a sophomore.

Very impressed by the development of Steinfeld, who seemed to come out of nowhere as an offensive force for North late in the season last year. He will be a key contributor for North - or they will struggle.

North has a number of other athletes who could round the team into a real scrappy team under the new leadership. I liked Clark's hustle last year; but he appeared to lack confidence in his offensive game and they will likely need some points from him. Kozak moves up from JV and gives them height and athleticism, but will likely need to add a few pounds and some more aggressiveness to his game. He has a lot of raw potential. The Mustangs could really use him; when Rowan was out of the game last year, North was almost painfully small.

Seniors Johnny Clausen, Nathan Yates, and junior Kameron Shams look to provide point guard leadership...all three started part of last year.

As a team, North will certainly have to improve the defense over last year's unit, which was one of the region's highest-scoring teams, but which also gave up oodles of points.

I may be dead wrong, but I can practically guarantee the defense will be better.

After posting this, I realized I had failed to mention David Levitch, who was one of the three most impressive freshmen I saw in the 8th region last year. Toothpick of a kid - didn't look like he had enough muscle on his body to shoot a ball 15' - but he was a frighteningly accurate shooter from long range, and a dead-eye from the line. Third-leading scorer on the team and he didn't even start much of the year. Great hustle. Looking forward to seeing what he can do as he matures physically.

Col. Mike

Your so right. Shame on me as well for not having David Levitch in the North mix.

He 's got a great AAU pedigree, is very court savvy and also has an 8th grade brother that could surpass older brother when all is said and done.

Both boys should easily top 6'3 as they get older and have the ingredients to be the best talent to ever come out of North.

Mustangs would have been the team to beat, but with a coaching change and the loss of Foley I would say a district counter part will be a little better. They have some great players in Levitch, Rowan and Steinfeld but really struggle guarding any one, watched them this summer and it was a struggle for them at times. Great coach coming in but transition is tough!

I think your comments are fair. These guy's are having to learn legit defense from scratch. The good news is that I can tell you the team is genuinely buying into Coach Henleys system. How quickly it will translate to the win column is a good question.

Interestingly, the 8th region is so wide-open, a team such as North Oldham - with four extremely solid players and a host of potential role players that could contribute - has the chance to make a lot of noise. There simply is no clear-cut favorite in the boys' 8th region this coming year and the region as a whole appears a little down from last year.