Summer Basketball...How Many Games Is Your Team Playing?

Our team will get in at least 16 games this summer. We just played 10 in the last 3 days and have at least 4 in the next 3. The number of games depends on well the team does at team camps. We made it to the Finals at the Centre Camp so that was 3 games on the day of the tourney. We'll be at the High School AAU tourney this weekend. Pool play today and tomorrow and tourney starts Saturday. We play in scrimmages next week at two different schools and that's it. At the very least we'll play 16 games in two weeks. Short time for a nice amount of games. I see us getting better every game until fatigue sets in. I love it though and I believe it pays off.

I'm not real sure about all these summer games at all these camps and stuff. Seems to me that you are paying a lot of money to go and get the snot fouled out of you. From a defensive aspect usually the guys are not in the same shape as during the season and this leads to a ton of reaching and fouling. This generally leads to the offense looking much different than it truely would in season. Creates some bad habits that must be broken later.

Never really put a lot of stock into summer wins and losses. it can point out some competitive things about the players and help a group bond, but you can do that in your own gym. i always liked playing against older competition - grads in college and out of school trying to stay in shape. Those guys are crafty and usually willing to give lessons to the youngsters.