Covington Catholic 3 Beechwood 2

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lazarus comes back from the dead to lead CovCath to victory in an all important 35th District Seeding game against Beechwood at CovCath. Lazarus gets two hits (double) drives in 2 runs, scores one and walks. The second of the two RBI's was the game winning hit in the bottom of the seventh to give CovCath the Victory.

The Good: Stayton & Lankheit both getting big hits, Adam "The 100 pitch count man" Warning for his pitching. Strong "D" by Reese and Schlagbaum, and Siemer, for his impression of Brandon Nutini today.

The Bad and Ugly: Some bad base running, two errors that led to one unearned run and LOB 10.

Pee Wee's Place Offensive play of the game: Bottom of the seventh inning game tied 2-2. Jake Lankheit PH's for Warning and on a 3-2 pitch smacks a stand up double to left center splitting the Beechwood CF and LF. Man on second, no outs and Matt Klein up. Matt on the first offering from Johnson hits a pop up just deep enough down the third base line that is too far for the 3rd baseman/SS and left fielder is playing Matt deep and the ball falls to the ground with no one touching it. Men on second and third and after his 112 pitch of the game the Beechwood Coach takes out Johnson and brings in Michael Colosimo in to pitch to Lazarus (Bret Stayton) who with the Beechwood infield in and no outs on a 0-1 count, Brett hits a sharp single between the second basemen and second base, sending Waring home with the winning run.

Pee Wee's Place Offensive play of the game: Bottom of the seventh inning game tied 2-2. Jake Lankheit PH's for Warning and on a 3-2 pitch smacks a stand up double to left center splitting the Beechwood CF and LF. Man on second, no outs and Matt Klein up. Matt on the first offering from Johnson hits a pop up just deep enough down the third base line that is too far for the 3rd baseman/SS and left fielder is playing Matt deep and the ball falls to the ground with no one touching it. Men on second and third and after his 112 pitch of the game the Beechwood Coach takes out Johnson and brings in Michael Colosimo in to pitch to Lazarus (Bret Stayton) who with the Beechwood infield in and no outs on a 0-1 count, Brett hits a sharp single between the second basemen and second base, sending Waring home with the winning run.

So I assume Lankheit got to third on Mattie's blooper because no one covered the base? I assume also that he had to hold to see if it was going to be caught?

BAWAC Inc. Defensive play's of the game: CovCath bottom of the 2nd inning and with a runner on first Severson hit a rocket just to the right of the Beechwood 2nd baseman and it looks like CovCath will have runners on first and third with one out but Cody Gohs makes a great catch to record the second out of the inning.

Beechwood Top of the 4th and Beechwood has a runner on first base with one out. C. J. Bertke hits a shot into Left Field that looks at best a single and maybe a double but Brady Reese gets on his horse and brings the ball into his glove for the second out of the inning.

Beechwood top of the 6th with a man on first base with two outs Gohs hits a ball right down the third base line, but Schlagbaum after it crosses over the bag, back hands the ball and throws a strike to get the third out of the inning.

Grubers Grill star of the game: Brett Stayton, Jake Landheit and Adam Warning.

Tip of Theoldguy hat to Colin Johnson for his effort on the mound tonight. Great job young man.

So I assume Lankheit got to third on Mattie's blooper because no one covered the base? I assume also that he had to hold to see if it was going to be caught?

Adam Warning was brought back into the game to PR for Jake!

CovCath pitching:

Adam Warning (win) 114 pitches 7 complete innings 28 PA 3 hits 2 runs 1 earned run 3 walks and 8 K's

BTW congrats to Adam Warning for his verbal commitment to Earlham College, in Richmond Indiana today! Good luck young man! I guess a road trip to Richmond will be in store for Theoldguy next year!

Warning reentered to run for Lankheit who did have to hold up until the ball dropped for the single. He then scored the winning run on Staytons single up the middle.

OK but how does he hold up at 2nd on a popup behind 3B and yet he still gets to 3B when it falls?

OK but how does he hold up at 2nd on a popup behind 3B and yet he still gets to 3B when it falls?

My guess is you are going half way since it's not deep enough to tag up on and advance. Once the ball drops you have time to advance to third. If they happen to catch it you have time to go back to second.

I didn't invent the game like some on here think they did but that would be my guess.:thumb:

CovCath hitting:

Siemer 4 PA 1 run scored 1 hit (double) 1 k and 2 hbp

Warning 3 PA 1 run scored 1 k and 1 sac bunt

Landheit 1 PA and 1 hit (double)

Klein 4 PA 1 hit and 1 walk

Nienaber CR 4th inning

Stayton 4 PA 1 runs scored 2 hits (double) 2 rbi's and 1 walk

Gerwe 3 PA and 1 walk

Martin 3 PA 1 hit 1 rbi and 1 walk

Schlagbaum 3 PA 1 hit and reached base via E-5

Severson 3 PA 1 FC

Stein 2 PA 1 walk and 1 K

Grosser 1 PA

CovCath improves it's 35th District record to 2-0 and regular season record to 15-9 and next plays Connor @ CovCath on Wednesday May 5th at 5pm.

My guess is you are going half way since it's not deep enough to tag up on and advance. Once the ball drops you have time to advance to third. If they happen to catch it you have time to go back to second.

I didn't invent the game like some on here think they did but that would be my guess.:thumb:

:thumb:

No one was on the bag at third as I recall, as the third baseman, SS an LF were converging on the play. I know Coach Meryerhoff was not a happy camper after that play.

I think we'll call that a "teaching moment."

Stayton's hit in the first was really an error. The ball glanced off the glove of the left fielder. I was sitting on first base side and it should have been caught. JMHO. Also, I believe BW had 4 hits not three. I was obviously rooting for BW. CCH returned the favor in the (not sure what inning but the second run) with an error on the catchers throw to 2nd on the steal. Fun game to watch.