Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Corbin's Shirar, North Laurel's Brock named to the Kentucky All Star team

Featured Replies

Was Akins named to the team? If not, that would be a real surprise considering the numbers she put up this past season and being 1st team all state last year.

  • Author

Nope.

Here is my question, ... how does Corbin have as many Kentucky all stars as North Laurel and South Laurel COMBINED the past 3 years? Corbin has had Soles, Baylor and Shirer. North Laurel and South Laurel have had Brock, Sears & Alsip. Last year how does Wombles from South not make the team? I was told the reason was that because she was playing basketball for the KY all stars she was not asked to play. So because the kid is an all star athlete in more than one sport, she doesn't even get an invite? This is not meant to offend anyone at Corbin, their program has comes leaps and bounds, but I just don't get it.

 

Akins' numbers were phenomenal, ... led the region's best team in HRs, RBIs, etc. 1st team all state last year and even played better this season.

Edited by MountainThunder

Congratulations to Franklin County's Madelyn Brown and Western Hills Miranda Buchanan for making the squad. They both have represented the City of Frankfort well. On top of being named KY all-stars Brown was named 11th Region POY and Buchanan was named Class 2A POY.

Here is my question, ... how does Corbin have as many Kentucky all stars as North Laurel and South Laurel COMBINED the past 3 years? Corbin has had Soles, Baylor and Shirer. North Laurel and South Laurel have had Brock, Sears & Alsip. Last year how does Wombles from South not make the team? I was told the reason was that because she was playing basketball for the KY all stars she was not asked to play. So because the kid is an all star athlete in more than one sport, she doesn't even get an invite? This is not meant to offend anyone at Corbin, their program has comes leaps and bounds, but I just don't get it.

 

Akins' numbers were phenomenal, ... led the region's best team in HRs, RBIs, etc. 1st team all state last year and even played better this season.

 

Gotta agree with you MT. I was shocked when I saw Akins wasn't on the team. I wonder if maybe it was just a situation that she was going to be out of town or something when they were playing. At least I hope that it was something like that. But looks like they would have named her to the team and then just chosen an alternate.

Sounds like Akins should have been on the all-star team, how was this team chosen? Congrats to the players who made the team, does Shirer also play volleyball? If she is the one I'm thinking of she is one super athlete.

Sounds like Akins should have been on the all-star team, how was this team chosen? Congrats to the players who made the team, does Shirer also play volleyball? If she is the one I'm thinking of she is one super athlete.

 

Initially each head coach that's a member of the coach's association nominates up to 3 players, usually from their own team. Then there's two committees, east and west. Usually 10 or so coaches make up each committee. They choose the members of each team to compete against each other in the annual "East-West" Game. Then from those two teams, the "Kentucky" All-Stars are chosen. I'm not a 100% sure about who makes the "Kentucky" choices, but I think it may be the coaches involved in the actual "East-West" game. There's both a jr and sr squad for the East-West games so a lot of players from around the state get a chance to participate.

I should say that's how it was chosen in year's past, I'm just guessing it's still the same way. Shirer does play v'ball and you're right, she's a tremendous athlete.

Initially each head coach that's a member of the coach's association nominates up to 3 players, usually from their own team. Then there's two committees, east and west. Usually 10 or so coaches make up each committee. They choose the members of each team to compete against each other in the annual "East-West" Game. Then from those two teams, the "Kentucky" All-Stars are chosen. I'm not a 100% sure about who makes the "Kentucky" choices, but I think it may be the coaches involved in the actual "East-West" game. There's both a jr and sr squad for the East-West games so a lot of players from around the state get a chance to participate.

I should say that's how it was chosen in year's past, I'm just guessing it's still the same way. Shirer does play v'ball and you're right, she's a tremendous athlete.

 

Shirar is a tremendous athlete. I was very impressed with her play at shortstop the few times I got to see her play this year. Honestly, she and 2 of the outfielders for Corbin kept the final game with North Laurel to a 2-0 score with some tremendous defensive plays. I know that Coach Weaver at North really praised her play against his lady Jags the 3 times they played this year, especially the last 2 games.

Initially each head coach that's a member of the coach's association nominates up to 3 players, usually from their own team. Then there's two committees, east and west. Usually 10 or so coaches make up each committee. They choose the members of each team to compete against each other in the annual "East-West" Game. Then from those two teams, the "Kentucky" All-Stars are chosen. I'm not a 100% sure about who makes the "Kentucky" choices, but I think it may be the coaches involved in the actual "East-West" game. There's both a jr and sr squad for the East-West games so a lot of players from around the state get a chance to participate.

I should say that's how it was chosen in year's past, I'm just guessing it's still the same way. Shirer does play v'ball and you're right, she's a tremendous athlete.

Thanks I thought it may be a newspaper or what ever vote.

Thanks I thought it may be a newspaper or what ever vote.

 

There is at least one sports journalist who has his say in this as well, and before anyone asks, it is not Les. He used to work in Laurel County and to be honest, about the only time these days he would ever report on South Laurel or North Laurel, is if they lost. I guess he is still in charge of the Laurel County Athletics Hall of Fame, but they haven't done anything as far as inductees or ceremonies in several years. He has pretty much cut all ties with Laurel County.

 

With that being said, he has been a great supporter of fastpitch softball in Kentucky, and I admire that.

There is at least one sports journalist who has his say in this as well, and before anyone asks, it is not Les. He used to work in Laurel County and to be honest, about the only time these days he would ever report on South Laurel or North Laurel, is if they lost. I guess he is still in charge of the Laurel County Athletics Hall of Fame, but they haven't done anything as far as inductees or ceremonies in several years. He has pretty much cut all ties with Laurel County.

 

With that being said, he has been a great supporter of fastpitch softball in Kentucky, and I admire that.

 

You're right MT, I completely forgot about him, to my knowledge he is the only non-coach on the committee. He actually is over the all-star stuff I think. I was always under the impression that he chose who the committee members were and stuff like that. I have no knowledge of the "problem" he may or may not have with Laurel County, but like or dislike him, he tirelessly promotes fastpitch. I remember when he started the first all-star game between the 12th and 13th in 98. Or at least I think it was the first one.

You're right MT, I completely forgot about him, to my knowledge he is the only non-coach on the committee. He actually is over the all-star stuff I think. I was always under the impression that he chose who the committee members were and stuff like that. I have no knowledge of the "problem" he may or may not have with Laurel County, but like or dislike him, he tirelessly promotes fastpitch. I remember when he started the first all-star game between the 12th and 13th in 98. Or at least I think it was the first one.

 

 

That is true. He truly wants to see fastpitch softball grow in KY and I agree that he tirelessly promotes it!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.