Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Back-up Quarterbacks

Featured Replies

Who are the really good back-up QB's in Northern Kentucky this year? I assume Pike from Dixie will be in the mix there.

Who are the really good back-up QB's in Northern Kentucky this year? I assume Pike from Dixie will be in the mix there.

 

I'm assuming at Dixie it will be 1)Wilson, 2)DeMatteo and then Pike. Not sure if DeMatteo is senior or not, I know Wilson is. Pike will be seeing time at receiver, possibly tightend. But hey, one never knows. When Bricking was a sophomore Hunefeld was having a little trouble at QB and Bricking was pulled up off JV squad, Hunefeld went to receiver and it all worked out quite well.

Caleb Lonkard at Ryle is very solid. A bit undersized, but has a good arm and is a shifty runner. He'd be starting at quite a few schools in NKY.

I'm assuming at Dixie it will be 1)Wilson, 2)DeMatteo and then Pike. Not sure if DeMatteo is senior or not, I know Wilson is. Pike will be seeing time at receiver, possibly tightend. But hey, one never knows. When Bricking was a sophomore Hunefeld was having a little trouble at QB and Bricking was pulled up off JV squad, Hunefeld went to receiver and it all worked out quite well.

 

I'd have to agree with you, and if I'm not mistaken, DeMatteo will be a junior.

Dematteo isn't playing football this year he is playing all baseball.

 

And from my look at it Pike has all the upside in the world he's 6'5, strong arm, and has great footwork, vision and the mental aspect of the QB positon.

 

Wilson however has more expierence but seems to lack on the mental side of the QB position. He has a accurate arm but not as strong.

 

I think Pike will get a fair ammount of snaps at QB this year and you never know what could happen.

 

Simon Kenton made that switch from a senior QB to a Sophmore QB and look where it took them.

 

I think Dixie has alot of young talent that can take them for a ride this season

Dematteo isn't playing football this year he is playing all baseball.

 

And from my look at it Pike has all the upside in the world he's 6'5, strong arm, and has great footwork, vision and the mental aspect of the QB positon.

 

Wilson however has more expierence but seems to lack on the mental side of the QB position. He has a accurate arm but not as strong.

 

I think Pike will get a fair ammount of snaps at QB this year and you never know what could happen.

 

Simon Kenton made that switch from a senior QB to a Sophmore QB and look where it took them.

 

I think Dixie has alot of young talent that can take them for a ride this season

 

If Pike has a stronger arm than Wilson he has picked up a lot this off season. Obviously I haven't seen them in football action since last fall, but when it comes to athleticism, Wilson wins that battle. As you say in your one comment, Wilson could lose snaps to Pike because of the mental side of things and intangibles - but not because Pike has a better arm or is a better athlete.

If Pike has a stronger arm than Wilson he has picked up a lot this off season. Obviously I haven't seen them in football action since last fall, but when it comes to athleticism, Wilson wins that battle. As you say in your one comment, Wilson could lose snaps to Pike because of the mental side of things and intangibles - but not because Pike has a better arm or is a better athlete.

 

Thats hard to say both Wilson and Pike have outstanding athletism, Pike has the strongest arm i've seen on a incoming sophmore in this area. Both of the two are great QB's and Pike has alot of room for improvement.

 

A 6'5 QB is always nice to have in the pocket.

If Pike has a stronger arm than Wilson he has picked up a lot this off season. Obviously I haven't seen them in football action since last fall, but when it comes to athleticism, Wilson wins that battle. As you say in your one comment, Wilson could lose snaps to Pike because of the mental side of things and intangibles - but not because Pike has a better arm or is a better athlete.

 

Thats hard to say both Wilson and Pike have outstanding athletism, Pike has the strongest arm i've seen on a incoming sophmore in this area. Both of the two are great QB's and Pike has alot of room for improvement.

 

A 6'5 QB is always nice to have in the pocket.

Dematteo isn't playing football this year he is playing all baseball.

 

And from my look at it Pike has all the upside in the world he's 6'5, strong arm, and has great footwork, vision and the mental aspect of the QB positon.

 

Wilson however has more expierence but seems to lack on the mental side of the QB position. He has a accurate arm but not as strong.

 

I think Pike will get a fair ammount of snaps at QB this year and you never know what could happen.

 

Simon Kenton made that switch from a senior QB to a Sophmore QB and look where it took them.

 

I think Dixie has alot of young talent that can take them for a ride this season

 

That's a shame DeMatteo isn't playing. He was a good football player. However, I wish him well in baseball.

 

You may be right about Pike taking snaps away from Wilson, but I just don't see him taking over the spot. Wilson played well down the stretch as they allowed him to scramble more. Plus, didn't he sit out most his sophomore year with an injury, which led to his slow start last year? Based on what I've heard regarding Pike last year, and what I saw from Wilson last year, there's no reason Wilson doesn't lead this team next year. Plus, Pike's not going to be able to use that size advantage as well as he did last year.

 

Regardless of who's at the QB position, until some receivers step up, then the QB will struggle some. Last year, they had problems creating separation and running tight routes.

That's a shame DeMatteo isn't playing. He was a good football player. However, I wish him well in baseball.

 

You may be right about Pike taking snaps away from Wilson, but I just don't see him taking over the spot. Wilson played well down the stretch as they allowed him to scramble more. Plus, didn't he sit out most his sophomore year with an injury, which led to his slow start last year? Based on what I've heard regarding Pike last year, and what I saw from Wilson last year, there's no reason Wilson doesn't lead this team next year. Plus, Pike's not going to be able to use that size advantage as well as he did last year.

 

Regardless of who's at the QB position, until some receivers step up, then the QB will struggle some. Last year, they had problems creating separation and running tight routes.

 

Good point about the receivers. Wilson suddenly looked really good at QB when they move Connor Brock to receiver.

 

I think Pike's size and ability are going to work against him. They will want to get him on the field somewhere so they will find a place for him, most likely not at QB and then starting elsewhere will hurt him as far as playing QB. That is what happened to Zach Larimore at Beechwood. He was dominant at QB as a freshman. But sophomore year they had Rigdon at QB and Larimore's size and ability caused them to move him to starting varsity at TE and DE. Starting at varsity kept him out of snaps at QB on JV so he missed out on experience there. I could see something similar happening with Pike at Dixie.

Good point about the receivers. Wilson suddenly looked really good at QB when they move Connor Brock to receiver.

 

I think Pike's size and ability are going to work against him. They will want to get him on the field somewhere so they will find a place for him, most likely not at QB and then starting elsewhere will hurt him as far as playing QB. That is what happened to Zach Larimore at Beechwood. He was dominant at QB as a freshman. But sophomore year they had Rigdon at QB and Larimore's size and ability caused them to move him to starting varsity at TE and DE. Starting at varsity kept him out of snaps at QB on JV so he missed out on experience there. I could see something similar happening with Pike at Dixie.

 

With DeMatteo out, it looks as though Pike will be the backup QB by default. I think we're in agreement that he isn't going to start at the varsity level at the spot, and if he is the QB of the future, he HAS to start at the QB position on JV. If I'm not mistaken, he's only played the position one, maybe two, years, so he has to get more experience at the JV level. As far as varsity goes, you have to find a spot for him. Personally, I'd like to see him at TE. I've heard talks about him playing some linebacker on defense. However, I would limit him to one side of the ball so he still has enough to be the QB during the JV games.

I believe last year was the first year Pike played QB. In his NKYFL Raider days he was a running back and linebacker. I don't ever remember him playing QB till freshman year at Dixie.

Good point about the receivers. Wilson suddenly looked really good at QB when they move Connor Brock to receiver.

 

I think Pike's size and ability are going to work against him. They will want to get him on the field somewhere so they will find a place for him, most likely not at QB and then starting elsewhere will hurt him as far as playing QB. That is what happened to Zach Larimore at Beechwood. He was dominant at QB as a freshman. But sophomore year they had Rigdon at QB and Larimore's size and ability caused them to move him to starting varsity at TE and DE. Starting at varsity kept him out of snaps at QB on JV so he missed out on experience there. I could see something similar happening with Pike at Dixie.

 

VOR, I tend to agree with you but I remember a similar situation a few years back at Dixie when Greg Preston was QB. He was one of the bigger guys on that team who could throw and was pretty much their fullback when tough yards were needed. I could see Pike in the same way but he needs to get on those weights....hasn't put much bulk on that I have seen recently.

Last I heard, DeMatteo is still playing football and is a heck of a back-up quarterback.

I really hope Corbin comes back, he is a good QB and also did really well as a linebacker when not playing QB. Dixie can really use him this year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.