Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3 Seconds

Featured Replies

He thought your avatar was the Capital building and he knew there was no truth coming out of there.:lol:

 

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

 

Now, that's nothing if not funny.

Misunderstood rule and most of the time those yelling don't have a clue. Most officials will try and talk players out of the paint before calling 3 seconds. Most officials don't want to call this "GI" (game interrupter) as it kills the flow of game.

 

Question from previous post would be is it possible to legally be in the paint for 8 to 10 seconds?

 

I generally agree with your assessment of the rule, and with the way most officials try preventive officiating when it comes to enforcement. Not totally sure I agree with the way it's (not) called but I agree with what you're saying.

 

As for the second graph, I'll take a stab at it, as I like to think I might know some of the rules. Once the ball crosses half court, of course it's not possible to legally be in the paint for eight to 10 seconds during a team possession.

atm....Was the earlier poster correct in saying that if a player is driving to the basket the 3 second count if off? Please expand. Thanks for your insight!

 

It is correct. Lets say the post player is in the lane for a count of 2 and before the count gets to 3 he/she receives a pass. The ref will suspend the count as long as the player then starts to make an offensive move. Should the post player not end up going up for a shot and passes it out then 3 seconds would be called.

 

As for the second graph, I'll take a stab at it, as I like to think I might know some of the rules. Once the ball crosses half court, of course it's not possible to legally be in the paint for eight to 10 seconds during a team possession.

 

Your qualifier of "during a team possession is correct." However, you will often hear fans and/or coaches yelling for 3 seconds when there is no team control.

 

Here's an example of a kid legally being in the lane for 8 seconds.

 

A1 in for 2 when his teammate shoots a long 3 point attempt. The count gets to 5 by the time the shot hits the rim then bounces on the rim a couple of times. Its then secured by the teammate of A1 who throws it out top. A1 is still in for another 2 when his teammate shoots again. So, what do we have? 8 to 10 seconds with one player not leaving the lane and no violation occurring.

Your qualifier of "during a team possession is correct." However, you will often hear fans and/or coaches yelling for 3 seconds when there is no team control.

 

Here's an example of a kid legally being in the lane for 8 seconds.

 

A1 in for 2 when his teammate shoots a long 3 point attempt. The count gets to 5 by the time the shot hits the rim then bounces on the rim a couple of times. Its then secured by the teammate of A1 who throws it out top. A1 is still in for another 2 when his teammate shoots again. So, what do we have? 8 to 10 seconds with one player not leaving the lane and no violation occurring.

 

I took a gamble and guessed I might be right. :D

I think Chuck's point, however poo-poo'ed by those who are rules experts in the crowd and dismissed as rule ignorance, is that there have been incidents where a post player doesn't repost, simply stays planted with receiving an entry pass. The team never lost possession. The post player never left the lane to reset. Happens all the time, ignorant fans and coaches aside.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.