Girl's Camps

My daughter attended Coach Summitt's camp in Knoxville last year. It was unbelievably well organized and Coach Summitt and her staff were very involved. She had a great experience. There were over 700 girls at the camp. She will be attending their elite camp this June which is a shorter more intense experience. She also attended Coach Walz's Elite Camp at U of L over a weekend last June as well. There were very small numbers so there was great one on one attention. He ran the sessions like he runs his regular D1 practices. She said that it was the most intense practices she had ever experienced but she loved every minute of it and learned a great deal. I would expect there will be larger numbers at his camp this year since it his second year in Louisville.

Coach Summitt's four day camp is around $500. Most of the weekend Elite camps are around $225-$250. There is a high exposure/blue chip camp in Louisville in July that is around $375. I have found that you need to be careful of the term "blue chip". Sometimes it is used to give a false impression of the level of the camp.

Coach Summitt's four day camp is around $500. Most of the weekend Elite camps are around $225-$250. There is a high exposure/blue chip camp in Louisville in July that is around $375. I have found that you need to be careful of the term "blue chip". Sometimes it is used to give a false impression of the level of the camp.

What do you mean about false impression? Any specifics?

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

My daughter attended Coach Summitt's camp in Knoxville last year. It was unbelievably well organized and Coach Summitt and her staff were very involved. She had a great experience. There were over 700 girls at the camp. She will be attending their elite camp this June which is a shorter more intense experience. She also attended Coach Walz's Elite Camp at U of L over a weekend last June as well. There were very small numbers so there was great one on one attention. He ran the sessions like he runs his regular D1 practices. She said that it was the most intense practices she had ever experienced but she loved every minute of it and learned a great deal. I would expect there will be larger numbers at his camp this year since it his second year in Louisville.[/QUOTE]

I heard the same thing about UL elite camp. Small numbers=loads of instruction and he did run it like a college practice. Very benefitial to players who have aspirations of playing at the next level.

What do you mean about false impression? Any specifics?

When my daughter was younger there were times she brought home camp information carrying the "blue chip" title that she got from her coach. At first I thought she had been indentified and selected to attend a special camp. Come to find out everybody got the same camp information. I have some friends who are at the college level give the same warning about some "blue chip" camps. It does not always mean that the girls attending or the instruction offered is any different than some other camps not carrying that title. There are many excellent camps that do not use that title. Do not simply focus on the title to determine the quality of the camp.