Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mason County 52 Harrison County 48

Featured Replies

I totally agree with the bolded. And why I said you cannot judge Coach Crisp by the results of this year. Give him an opportunity to put his stamp on the program and that will take time.

 

I did have another discussion and wondered if Coach Crisp is under a microscope with the officials. Coach Whitaker got by with a lot of stuff that none of us other coaches could get by with.

 

We have wondered if Coach Crisp is under even more of a microscope with the officials wanting to send a message that the new Harrison coach will not be getting by with what the former coach did.

 

I would be interested to hear from the Fillies' fans that have been to a bunch of games and whether they think the officials have Coach Crisp on a short leash.

 

 

Coach Crisp stands up for his player, but I don't see how the short leash will come into play. Crisp and Whitaker are totally different from a personality point of view. If anything I would think it would be "refreshing" to referees. They were the ones under the microscope when Whitaker was on the sidelines. Not to say Crisp is any different, but I don't think he's as demeaning to refs.

Coach Crisp stands up for his player, but I don't see how the short leash will come into play. Crisp and Whitaker are totally different from a personality point of view. If anything I would think it would be "refreshing" to referees. They were the ones under the microscope when Whitaker was on the sidelines. Not to say Crisp is any different, but I don't think he's as demeaning to refs.

 

 

That is good to note.

 

Some of us older coaches who had to share the sidelines with Coach Whitaker were afraid he might not get a fair shake as some might want to make sure the new coach didn't think he was going to get by with what Mac did.

 

I was told by one Coach scouting Harrison that it was quickly into a game when the official told Coach Crisp that they were going to listen to him from the sidelines. Mac didn't seem to get that treatment which led to our discussion about Coach Crisp being on a short leash.

You can still treat people the way you'd want to be treated and be successful. !!

 

 

That is the paradox that is Mac Whitaker.

 

He did as a coach something NO ONE ELSE at Harrison County has ever done in girls basketball.

 

He did/does as coach something NO ONE ELSE at Harrison County has ever been able to accomplish in any other sport.

 

He wins and he wins alot. But I hear all the time the players hate playing for him but they win. Some players feel demean by the way they were treated, but they win and improve.

 

And no other coach has been able to repeat that.

 

I tried to replicate what Mac did on the court without the demeaning aspect of it and never was able to get my players to play as intelligent and as hard as his players did.

 

Maybe I don't have the coaching aspects of it. Or maybe it takes a little of the demeaning to get his players at a rural school to play at the level he gets them to play.

 

That is the paradox of Mac Whitaker coaching.

 

I don't have an answer.

That is the paradox that is Mac Whitaker.

 

He did as a coach something NO ONE ELSE at Harrison County has ever done in girls basketball.

 

He did/does as coach something NO ONE ELSE at Harrison County has ever been able to accomplish in any other sport.

 

He wins and he wins alot. But I hear all the time the players hate playing for him but they win. Some players feel demean by the way they were treated, but they win and improve.

 

And no other coach has been able to repeat that.

 

I tried to replicate what Mac did on the court without the demeaning aspect of it and never was able to get my players to play as intelligent and as hard as his players did.

 

Maybe I don't have the coaching aspects of it. Or maybe it takes a little of the demeaning to get his players at a rural school to play at the level he gets them to play.

 

That is the paradox of Mac Whitaker coaching.

 

I don't have an answer.

 

As a former player of Coach Whitaker, never did I feel demeaned by him. He pushed me to play to my ability and beyond. We were expected to give as much on the field as he did as a coach. If we didn't like it we could quit and play in a rec league or play softball. Like everyone else we liked to win. Most of the players that complain about Coach Whitaker were the ones who didn't put forth the effort or didn't get the playing time they thought they deserved, but more than that are the parents of these players.

As a former player of Coach Whitaker, never did I feel demeaned by him. He pushed me to play to my ability and beyond. We were expected to give as much on the field as he did as a coach. If we didn't like it we could quit and play in a rec league or play softball. Like everyone else we liked to win. Most of the players that complain about Coach Whitaker were the ones who didn't put forth the effort or didn't get the playing time they thought they deserved, but more than that are the parents of these players.

 

GREAT, GREAT POST!!!!!!

And thank you for sharing.

Many want to rail on Coach Whitaker and you have given a first hand account that shows the other side.

Thank you for posting.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.