September 25, 200818 yr Author Not at all. A bigtime, athletic player will take a lot of the focus off of a big man, and allow him time to develop. UK NEEDS a post presence that can make an impact right away. In Orton's first year it's likely there will be no Patterson and Ferg is 2010. Apples and anchovies...
September 25, 200818 yr UK NEEDS a post presence that can make an impact right away. In Orton's first year it's likely there will be no Patterson and Ferg is 2010. Apples and anchovies... We've got Patterson now. Nobody can count on him being here in '09, but we'll deal with that when we get there. If he goes, there's no doubt in my mind that Perry Stevenson (senior) & AJ Stewart (junior) will be able to play the post. Jared Carter could potentially be back for a 5th year as well. Yes, I'm still holding out hope that he can contribute. And that's assuming Patrick Patterson makes the jump to the NBA.
September 25, 200818 yr Author We've got Patterson now. Nobody can count on him being here in '09, but we'll deal with that when we get there. If he goes, there's no doubt in my mind that Perry Stevenson (senior) & AJ Stewart (junior) will be able to play the post. Jared Carter could potentially be back for a 5th year as well. Yes, I'm still holding out hope that he can contribute. And that's assuming Patrick Patterson makes the jump to the NBA. Patterson is as good as gone unless something goes very wrong. Stevenson, Stewart and Carter. Tubby would be proud. That's a VERY weak interior presence any way you slice it. Would have been better off talking about Harrelson and Pilgram...
September 25, 200818 yr Patterson is as good as gone unless something goes very wrong. Stevenson, Stewart and Carter. Tubby would be proud. That's a VERY weak interior presence any way you slice it. Would have been better off talking about Harrelson and Pilgram... I haven't seen Harrelson & Pilgrim play, so I'll reserve judgment for later. The point is that there are plenty of bodies who will have plenty of experience. Look at the way Perry Stevenson developed towards the end of last year. Who's to say that he won't continue to develop and become a force this year alongside Patterson. If Patterson leaves, it'd be Swat's senior year and his time to shine. You don't have to have a dominating big man if you have a team that plays hard with athletic wings. Big, athletic wings make up for a lot of shortcomings of interior players. Kentucky is loaded with that, and I think they'll be fine down low as well.
September 25, 200818 yr Author I haven't seen Harrelson & Pilgrim play, so I'll reserve judgment for later. The point is that there are plenty of bodies who will have plenty of experience. Look at the way Perry Stevenson developed towards the end of last year. Who's to say that he won't continue to develop and become a force this year alongside Patterson. If Patterson leaves, it'd be Swat's senior year and his time to shine. You don't have to have a dominating big man if you have a team that plays hard with athletic wings. Big, athletic wings make up for a lot of shortcomings of interior players. Kentucky is loaded with that, and I think they'll be fine down low as well. Stevenson was able to do what he did because he had Patterson drawing the attention. There is no way the three you mentioned could do much without someone playing the 5 at a high level. Even if it is a 4 filling that role like they have now. Ferguson has very little to do with the importance of landing a skilled 4/5 in 09...
September 25, 200818 yr Stevenson was able to do what he did because he had Patterson drawing the attention. There is no way the three you mentioned could do much without someone playing the 5 at a high level. Even if it is a 4 filling that role like they have now. Ferguson has very little to do with the importance of landing a skilled 4/5 in 09... Come on GT. Patterson was out at the end of last season with a stress fracture in his ankle. That was what was so pleasing about Stevenson's performance. I agree that, as of now, Stevenson, Stewart & Carter are not going to make us a great team. Thankfully we still have PatPat, and Swat has another season to develop alongside him. Then, it'll be his time to shine.
September 25, 200818 yr Author Patterson was out at the end of last season with a stress fracture in his ankle. That was what was so pleasing about Stevenson's performance. South Carolina. UT. Florida. Marquette. What do they all have in common? Underwhelming post play...
September 25, 200818 yr South Carolina. UT. Florida. Marquette. What do they all have in common? Underwhelming post play... Stevenson averaged 7 points & 6 boards all year. 36 blocks. Last 3 regular season games Stevenson went: @ Tenn: 13 points, 14 boards, 2 blocks @ South Carolina: 1-3 only 2 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks Florida: 18 points, 10 boards, 5 blocks. Hard to find fault in those numbers. In the South Carolina game, Crawford put up 35 and Bradley 20. Don't have the numbers from the postseason right now and don't quite have the time to look them up.
September 25, 200818 yr Author Stevenson averaged 7 points & 6 boards all year. 36 blocks. Last 3 regular season games Stevenson went: @ Tenn: 13 points, 14 boards, 2 blocks @ South Carolina: 1-3 only 2 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks Florida: 18 points, 10 boards, 5 blocks. Hard to find fault in those numbers. In the South Carolina game, Crawford put up 35 and Bradley 20. Don't have the numbers from the postseason right now and don't quite have the time to look them up. Only Florida had anyone even worth mentioning in the post. Nice numbers, but in context....
September 25, 200818 yr Perry's Last 10 Games: @ Vandy (This game was a debacle) - In 12 minutes, 2-2 with 5 pts., 3 reb, 5 fouls @ LSU - 1-5, 2 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks, 4 fouls Georgia - 0-4, 2 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks Arkansas: 8 points, 7 rebounds Ole Miss: 7 points, 5 rebounds, 6 blocks Now, the last 5 games of the year. All of these are without Patrick Patterson: @ #3 Tenn - 13 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks @ South Carolina - 2 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks Florida - 18 points, 10 rebounds, 5 blocks Georgia - 4 points, 10 rebounds, 1 block (1-3 from the field, 2-2 from FT) Marquette - 10 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block Decent numbers, but inconsistent. The encouraging thing is when Patterson went down, Stevenson became much more assertive on the offensive end. Let's remember, he was only a sophomore. And before I get harrassed, I'm not annointing Perry Stevenson anything. I saw him last weekend and he's gained some weight, but not as much as I was hoping. I'm simply saying that I think he'll be fine this year with Patterson by his side, and then next year who knows? He was eating Tolly Ho late (early?) though, which is how I gain weight, so he should be packing on some lbs.
September 25, 200818 yr Only Florida had anyone even worth mentioning in the post. Nice numbers, but in context.... I understand, and I agree; however, you cannot fault a guy putting up good numbers against poor teams. Stevenson was a sophomore and everybody knew the offense ran through Patterson. When Patterson wasn't touching the ball, Ramel or Joe were firing it up from somewhere. I think Stevenson could be a star in the right system. The guy is big & can run the floor. He can't catch a cold, but he can change the game with his shot blocking ability. I hope that Kentucky will play an up-tempo game this year, and that'll only make Stevenson more effective. If he can knock down the jumper from the elbow 40-50% of the time, Kentucky will have a great year. I'd also like to add that he's a very good free throw shooting big guy.
September 25, 200818 yr Author Perry's Last 10 Games: @ Vandy (This game was a debacle) - In 12 minutes, 2-2 with 5 pts., 3 reb, 5 fouls @ LSU - 1-5, 2 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks, 4 fouls Georgia - 0-4, 2 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks Arkansas: 8 points, 7 rebounds Ole Miss: 7 points, 5 rebounds, 6 blocks Now, the last 5 games of the year. All of these are without Patrick Patterson: @ #3 Tenn - 13 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks @ South Carolina - 2 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks Florida - 18 points, 10 rebounds, 5 blocks Georgia - 4 points, 10 rebounds, 1 block (1-3 from the field, 2-2 from FT) Marquette - 10 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block Decent numbers, but inconsistent. The encouraging thing is when Patterson went down, Stevenson became much more assertive on the offensive end. Let's remember, he was only a sophomore. And before I get harrassed, I'm not annointing Perry Stevenson anything. I saw him last weekend and he's gained some weight, but not as much as I was hoping. I'm simply saying that I think he'll be fine this year with Patterson by his side, and then next year who knows? He was eating Tolly Ho late (early?) though, which is how I gain weight, so he should be packing on some lbs. Who said anything about this year? It's an Orton thread, so that's 09 and Ferg was mentioned which is 10. You lost this one. I accept your apology...
September 25, 200818 yr Who said anything about this year? It's an Orton thread, so that's 09 and Ferg was mentioned which is 10. You lost this one. I accept your apology... Aww, come on, you can do better than that. Stevenson showed improvement. That improvement was discredited because of the post-presence of the teams' he posted the numbers against - and that could be legit. But, he looked like a completely different player and I expect (hope) that to continue. And like I said, Patterson isn't gone yet...
September 25, 200818 yr Author Aww, come on, you can do better than that. Stevenson showed improvement. That improvement was discredited because of the post-presence of the teams' he posted the numbers against - and that could be legit. But, he looked like a completely different player and I expect (hope) that to continue. And like I said, Patterson isn't gone yet... I can do better than getting back on topic? Whatever. Nothing I have said has anything to do with 08. Stevenson can be a very nice compliment along side Patterson. While Patterson isn't gone yet, I'm not sure you would be a fan of anything that would lead to him being at UK to start the 09 season. From there, it's very important to land a 4/5 guy for 09, and while Orton is the leading prospect, I'm not sure he's the right fit from when I've seen him play. Nothing more, nothing less. A similar player, but a few steps below a guy like J'Mison Morgan at the same stage. If he looked like 2010 Jared Sullinger, I'd be the first to sing his praises...
September 25, 200818 yr I can do better than getting back on topic? Whatever. Nothing I have said has anything to do with 08. There you go again. Topics & discussions evolve. It's one of the perks of a discussion board.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.