Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Montgomery Co. Invitational Sept. 6th

Featured Replies

  • Author
I don't know who gets to set up the pin locations, but there are several holes that can be brutal if not unfair. As a member of MSGCC, holes #8, #13, #15 and possibly #9 should just go away... Severely sloping and very firm greens with tough approach shots. But I do hope these guys play well, I think the class of 2014 will be a great one for Kentucky high school golf.:thumb:

 

Drew Conliffe of the KY Jr. Golf Foundation will be setting up the course, along with some suggestions from Montgomery Co.'s Coach. Or at least that's how it usually works. :thumb:

  • Replies 35
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Cody Martin plays for Ryle and has verbally committed to UK for next year. Ryle's top 3 (Cody Martin, Andrew Desmarais, and Jordan Erlewine) are top 10 in the state and could finish 1-2-3 in any tournament. Alas, it takes 4 scores.

 

Dixie Heights won't likely challenge for the top 10.

 

Grant County has done well in Northern Kentucky but lost one of their best players (Jeremy Martin) to graduation. Like Covington Catholic, they seem to do well every year.

 

Anything can happen in a one-day tournament.

 

IMHO, the top seniors in the state are Zach Butler, Blanton Farmer, and Cody Martin.

 

That's impressive. I'm going to go out on a limb and say none of these guys shoot under par at the MCIT this Saturday, unless they've previously played the course.

That's impressive. I'm going to go out on a limb and say none of these guys shoot under par at the MCIT this Saturday, unless they've previously played the course.

 

Drew does a great job for the kids and the course will be well marked. But still, I would give an advantage to the kids with local course knowledge. Ian Danis should do very well then.

Cody Martin plays for Ryle and has verbally committed to UK for next year. Ryle's top 3 (Cody Martin, Andrew Desmarais, and Jordan Erlewine) are top 10 in the state and could finish 1-2-3 in any tournament. Alas, it takes 4 scores.

 

Dixie Heights won't likely challenge for the top 10.

 

Grant County has done well in Northern Kentucky but lost one of their best players (Jeremy Martin) to graduation. Like Covington Catholic, they seem to do well every year.

 

Anything can happen in a one-day tournament.

 

IMHO, the top seniors in the state are Zach Butler, Blanton Farmer, and Cody Martin.

 

Wow! Way overestimated the team's talent and the difficulty of the course -- which was hinted many times in this thread. Ryle shot 327. Henry Clay shot 303 and I think won. Dunbar shot around 305. Shocker of the day - Zach Butler was 1 over going into his 16th hole - made 10 on hole #1 and shot 79 or 80.

 

Ben Simpson from Henry Clay shot even par 71 and was low in when I left.

Elliot County's Ethan Faulkner won on the 2nd hole of a playoff over Ben Simpson of Henry Clay. Henry Clay's Team won with 303, with Dunbar

2nd with 308.

FANOFTHE11th,

You were correct about Fred Meyer, got to watch him play. He is very, very good. He shot a 79 (12yrs old!). Lot's of fun to watch this young man.

  • Author

Here are the team results:

Henry Clay 303

PLD #1 308

Lexington Catholic 311

Bath Co. 320

Ryle 327

Greenup Co. 328

West Jessamine 328

Elliott Co. 331

Montgomery Co. 333

Boyd Co. 340

GRC 341

PLD #2 341

Greenup Co. #2 343

Mason Co. 343

Rowan Co. 347

Trinity 348

Dixie Heights 349

Clay Co. 356

Powell Co. 356

Harrison Co. 357

C.A.L. 368

Villa Madonna 369

Grant Co. 377

East Carter 394

 

 

 

I will have individual results posted by mid-week.

FANOFTHE11th,

You were correct about Fred Meyer, got to watch him play. He is very, very good. He shot a 79 (12yrs old!). Lot's of fun to watch this young man.

If he continues to work at the game with his current passion he will be very successful in the years to come. He was 5 over with 2 to play and 4 putted his 17th hole for double.

 

How about the best point guard in the state Ethan Faulkner winning in a playoff. Must have been exciting. Is he just killin time on the golf course until basketball season starts?

 

Also I heard the 6th grader Haas from West Jessamine shot 85. Not bad for a kid that only weighs 65 pounds.

 

Commoncat, others confirmed what you said about this golf course. I understand that were a lot of high scores.

From Kentucky.com

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/story/515951.html

 

Individuals—

1 Ethan Faulkner (Elliott Co.) 36-35—71

1 Ben Simpson (Henry Clay) 37-34—71

3 Dagan Abdon (Greenup Co.) 38-34—72

4 Danny Lattner (Lexington Catholic) 38-35—73

5 Tanner Mobley (Paul Dunbar) 39-36—75

6 Cody Martin (Ryle) 40-35—75

 

Congrats to Tanner Mobley who did well despite getting his tail chewed by Rules Official on #15

  • Author
From Kentucky.com

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/story/515951.html

 

Individuals—

1 Ethan Faulkner (Elliott Co.) 36-35—71

1 Ben Simpson (Henry Clay) 37-34—71

3 Dagan Abdon (Greenup Co.) 38-34—72

4 Danny Lattner (Lexington Catholic) 38-35—73

5 Tanner Mobley (Paul Dunbar) 39-36—75

6 Cody Martin (Ryle) 40-35—75

 

Congrats to Tanner Mobley who did well despite getting his tail chewed by Rules Official on #15

 

Let's hear your side of the story on this and then I'll tell you mine.

Let's hear your side of the story on this and then I'll tell you mine.

 

I was there - were you too? First, I greatly respect Tom and what he does.

 

Tom showed up to speed up play. He stood at the front of the tee box so the next group wouldn't hit. Tanner was up first in the next group.

 

Tom moved a little to the right side of the tee box, still 5 yards in front of Tanner. I was watching Tanner and didn't think he was going to hit the ball as he has a different pre-shot routine. Well, I was wrong.

 

Tom was clearly scared that the ball was going to him -- which I understand. The shot was probably 8 yards or so to his left - right at the pin though. Tom started by saying something like "what's wrong with you".

 

My assessment is that Tom created some ambiguity by moving to the right side of the tee box. With that, Tanner really should have waited until given the go-ahead. I do think Tom over-reacted a bit. Tanner's Dad was sitting by the tee and talked about it the rest of the day.

 

I'm interested in your view.

  • Author
I was there - were you too? First, I greatly respect Tom and what he does.

 

Tom showed up to speed up play. He stood at the front of the tee box so the next group wouldn't hit. Tanner was up first in the next group.

 

Tom moved a little to the right side of the tee box, still 5 yards in front of Tanner. I was watching Tanner and didn't think he was going to hit the ball as he has a different pre-shot routine. Well, I was wrong.

 

Tom was clearly scared that the ball was going to him -- which I understand. The shot was probably 8 yards or so to his left - right at the pin though. Tom started by saying something like "what's wrong with you".

 

My assessment is that Tom created some ambiguity by moving to the right side of the tee box. With that, Tanner really should have waited until given the go-ahead. I do think Tom over-reacted a bit. Tanner's Dad was sitting by the tee and talked about it the rest of the day.

 

I'm interested in your view.

 

That's the same, exact story I got. :thumb:

I think he (Tanner) just scared the bejesus out of Tom.

By the way, is that not the wildest green you've ever seen on a par 3!?!?:creepy:

That's the same, exact story I got. :thumb:

I think he (Tanner) just scared the bejesus out of Tom.

By the way, is that not the wildest green you've ever seen on a par 3!?!?:creepy:

 

Yes - wild green. No place to bail out on 15 - saw one kid putt the ball off the green from the back right. Saw a lot of kids miss the green short. One coach told me his team lost 8 shots to par on that hole last year.

 

I would say the course will be remembered as having very difficult greens - hard (didn't hold), lots of break, and lots of variation within each green.

 

I'd say that you'd have to play that course 5-10 times to really score well.

 

I saw 2 kids try to drive #13. The first, from Dunbar, pushed it and got lucky when it landed near cart path on 14. The second, Cody Martin, came up just short and made par. I estimated it around 325 yards tee, direct to, green.

I love to take my team there to practicing their putting.

If you are able to putt there, you can putt anywhere.

 

#15 is something. And I have been told, they made it EASIER a few years ago.

#4 is an interesting green too.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.