Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sarasota County Vote May End Reds Camp

Featured Replies

Not that it changes your point but PHX is about a 4 hour flight.

 

I don't think its possbile to fly 6 hours from CVG and still be in the continental US.

 

You're probably right. I think it takes about 5 hours to go from CVG to Seattle's airport.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
The Cincinnati Reds have to do what is best for the Cincinnati Reds. If they feel the facilities in Sarasota are not up to par, then why wouldn't they look to go somewhere else?

 

Why wouldn't their "most loyal fans for sure" want the best opportunities for their favorite team?

It's not about just going somewhere other than Sarasota. It's about going to the other end of the country, making it impossible for people to attend their games.

It's not about just going somewhere other than Sarasota. It's about going to the other end of the country, making it impossible for people to attend their games.

 

It doesn't make it impossible. Just a matter of choice. Unless of course there is some type of medical condition involved. Lets just go by price and not taking any other factors into account. Earlier someone said they could get a plane ticket to Arizona for $77 one way. Lets just bump that up to $100 making it $200 round trip. Now if you were to drive to Florida thats about 975 miles from Cincinnati. Lets say the vehicle you're driving gets 25 MPG. 975/25=39. Lets say the national average of gas is 3.10. So you'd be spending $120.90 on gas just one way. Saying hotels and other things were the same price its actually cheaper to fly than it is to drive since the price of gas is so high. But like i said thats just going by a cost stand point.

  • Author
It doesn't make it impossible. Just a matter of choice. Unless of course there is some type of medical condition involved.
I'd say only a tiny percentage of those who attended spring training from the Cincinnati area would even think about doing so in Arizona.
I'd say only a tiny percentage of those who attended spring training from the Cincinnati area would even think about doing so in Arizona.

 

 

I understand what you're saying. I just dont really understand why. I guess i'm just young and up for new things and new places. I mean you're getting the same team, great weather, and its probably cheaper (and a lot less stressful to fly rather than drive 12 hours) in Arizona. Some people are just afraid of change i guess.

It depends. If they stay within Florida, there will be no effect at all. If they CHOOSE to move to Arizona, it will be a slap in the face to their most loyal fans for sure. I would expect some backlash at the ticket booth from such a move.

 

IMO, there will be no such backlash. We're talking spring training here, not the regular season. Castellini wants to stay in Florida, and Sarasota isn't the only option in Florida. However, Goodyear has laid out a pretty sweet plan.

IMO, there will be no such backlash. We're talking spring training here, not the regular season. Castellini wants to stay in Florida, and Sarasota isn't the only option in Florida. However, Goodyear has laid out a pretty sweet plan.

 

I understand what you're saying. I just dont really understand why. I guess i'm just young and up for new things and new places. I mean you're getting the same team, great weather, and its probably cheaper (and a lot less stressful to fly rather than drive 12 hours) in Arizona. Some people are just afraid of change i guess.

 

It has absolutely nothing to do with being "afraid of change." For a lot of folks, especially older folks, Florida in the winter is a yearly tradition, and the extended family comes down to visit Grandma and Grandpa for whatever week they can swing, ideally a week when they can catch five or six Reds games and get in touch with what they'll be seeing in the summer.

 

It's basically asking a bunch of folks to trade in their standing vacation plans for the last 30+ years.

  • Author
Castellini wants to stay in Florida, and Sarasota isn't the only option in Florida.
I think that's what I haven't really made clear since I started this thread. I don't see a problem with other Florida locations. Arizona, however, will lessen interest in the Reds among fans that are used to the spring training ritual.

 

Spring training really is sort of a culture. You see many of the same faces every year. You get to mingle with the players -- mostly the rookies. It's all about the atmosphere and the intimate setting. I was very fortunate to get to be a part of that for maybe five or six years. Now that is ended and it's a little sad.

 

If the Reds move to Arizona, a whole lot of other local people will be feeling the same thing. I think they'll feel just a little betrayed. If they do move (and it looks likely), I hope it is to another location within Florida.

  • Author
It has absolutely nothing to do with being "afraid of change." For a lot of folks, especially older folks, Florida in the winter is a yearly tradition, and the extended family comes down to visit Grandma and Grandpa for whatever week they can swing, ideally a week when they can catch five or six Reds games and get in touch with what they'll be seeing in the summer.

 

It's basically asking a bunch of folks to trade in their standing vacation plans for the last 30+ years.

Exactly. :thumb:
I think that's what I haven't really made clear since I started this thread. I don't see a problem with other Florida locations. Arizona, however, will lessen interest in the Reds among fans that are used to the spring training ritual.

 

Spring training really is sort of a culture. You see many of the same faces every year. You get to mingle with the players -- mostly the rookies. It's all about the atmosphere and the intimate setting. I was very fortunate to get to be a part of that for maybe five or six years. Now that is ended and it's a little sad.

 

That's what I was trying to impress upon folks. Well done. :thumb:

 

If the Reds move to Arizona, a whole lot of other local people will be feeling the same thing. I think they'll feel just a little betrayed. If they do move (and it looks likely), I hope it is to another location within Florida.
I think that's what I haven't really made clear since I started this thread. I don't see a problem with other Florida locations. Arizona, however, will lessen interest in the Reds among fans that are used to the spring training ritual.

 

Spring training really is sort of a culture. You see many of the same faces every year. You get to mingle with the players -- mostly the rookies. It's all about the atmosphere and the intimate setting. I was very fortunate to get to be a part of that for maybe five or six years. Now that is ended and it's a little sad.

 

If the Reds move to Arizona, a whole lot of other local people will be feeling the same thing. I think they'll feel just a little betrayed. If they do move (and it looks likely), I hope it is to another location within Florida.

 

I understand the spring training thing. However, I don't think a move to Arizona is going to cost them ticket sales during the regular season. I know Castellini is big on staying in Florida, but there are others in the organization that are pushing Arizona on him. Plus, he's not too keen on sharing a complex, but there are some in the office that want to do everything the Indians do. Even though Sarasota voted against it yesterday, they have gone back to the drawing board to try to work something out. They're starting to realize the economically hit that they'll take without the Reds', and that the Reds' pay for a majority of the things down there, not Sarasota. It'll be interesting to see how things unfold these next couple of weeks.

 

If the Reds move to Arizona, a whole lot of other local people will be feeling the same thing. I think they'll feel just a little betrayed. If they do move (and it looks likely), I hope it is to another location within Florida.

 

Why would they feel betrayed? The Reds proposed a plan, and it was voted down without any hesitation. The Reds went back to the drawing board and dramatically decreased the cost of their proposal. And, once again, it was voted down.

 

Who should feel betrayed here? The people who rejected the proposal twice, or the team who, for some reason, feels an allegiance to a city who isn't willing to put up some money to keep them around?

I think that's what I haven't really made clear since I started this thread. I don't see a problem with other Florida locations. Arizona, however, will lessen interest in the Reds among fans that are used to the spring training ritual.

 

Spring training really is sort of a culture. You see many of the same faces every year. You get to mingle with the players -- mostly the rookies. It's all about the atmosphere and the intimate setting. I was very fortunate to get to be a part of that for maybe five or six years. Now that is ended and it's a little sad.

 

If the Reds move to Arizona, a whole lot of other local people will be feeling the same thing. I think they'll feel just a little betrayed. If they do move (and it looks likely), I hope it is to another location within Florida.

 

 

Many of those same faces would be around in Arizona. Actually, I'd argue that the culture you speak of would be better in Goodyear, AZ, as there would be another major league ballclub in the same complex.

 

The rookies will still be there - whether it's in Sarasota, Goodyear, or Alaska. If it is truly about the atmosphere and the intimiate setting, as you claim, then why not at least shop around for other venues? Surely Sarasota isn't the "be all end all" of spring training.

It has absolutely nothing to do with being "afraid of change." For a lot of folks, especially older folks, Florida in the winter is a yearly tradition, and the extended family comes down to visit Grandma and Grandpa for whatever week they can swing, ideally a week when they can catch five or six Reds games and get in touch with what they'll be seeing in the summer.

 

It's basically asking a bunch of folks to trade in their standing vacation plans for the last 30+ years.

 

I was just going by a price standpoint. I didn't take into account that people may be visiting family or anything like that on the same trip. I made it pretty clear in my post that I was strictly going by a cost standpoint.

  • Author
Why would they feel betrayed? The Reds proposed a plan, and it was voted down without any hesitation. The Reds went back to the drawing board and dramatically decreased the cost of their proposal. And, once again, it was voted down.

 

Who should feel betrayed here? The people who rejected the proposal twice, or the team who, for some reason, feels an allegiance to a city who isn't willing to put up some money to keep them around?

If you go back and read my earlier post, you'll see that the problem is not in leaving Sarasota. The problems would arise if they chose to leave Florida entirely. And the fans I mentioned would feel betrayed because that would be a Reds decision.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.