Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

110-year sentence in Iraq rape-killing

Featured Replies

Would you stand around and watch and hear a 14 year old girl get raped and murdered along with her family being murdered? Would you help cover it up and lie about it afterwords? If he wasn't part of the rape he was part of the cover up. He plead guilty to obstructing justice, wrongfully touching a corpse?, arson, and drinking. He is criminal.

I'm sure he had a chance to plead guilty for lesser time, but he obviously chose to take it to a jury.

Believe me I understand the preasure a soldier goes through during war, and I am sympathetic to that preasure. I also know the pain a child goes through by being a victim of a horrific crime. Rape and murder are rape and murder. He gambled twice and lost. I just pray that he repents for his sins.

Honestly, I'd like to think that I would be the hero and stop them. But being a young PFC, probably outranked by everybody at the scene, in a foreign country, at war, I don't know what I would have done. It becomes gang mentality. Are you willing to risk your life to stop the evil intentions of your comrades. Comrades that you sleep with and have weapons.

 

Again, I'm not excusing him. One thing I'd like to know is whether he knew what was going to happen before it happened.

Are you willing to risk your life to stop the evil intentions of your comrades. Comrades that you sleep with and have weapons.

 

YES

I also know the pain a child goes through by being a victim of a horrific crime. Rape and murder are rape and murder. He gambled twice and lost. I just pray that he repents for his sins.
I too am painfully aware of what a child goes through in such a horrific crime. But I don't agree that the man who is guilty of an omission should get the same sentence as the man who commited the horrific crime.
Honestly, I'd like to think that I would be the hero and stop them. But being a young PFC, probably outranked by everybody at the scene, in a foreign country, at war, I don't know what I would have done. It becomes gang mentality. Are you willing to risk your life to stop the evil intentions of your comrades. Comrades that you sleep with and have weapons.

 

Again, I'm not excusing him. One thing I'd like to know is whether he knew what was going to happen before it happened.

 

Fair question. I honestly not know how I would react. Regardless of the answer, though, its an ungodly crime that deserves severe punishment.

I too am painfully aware of what a child goes through in such a horrific crime. But I don't agree that the man who is guilty of an omission should get the same sentence as the man who commited the horrific crime.

 

Each case is decided individually. He recieved the time allowed for his crime. The jury that heard his case had nothing to do with the others sintences. Like I said, he took it to trial, he gambled, he lost. Next case.

Fair question. I honestly not know how I would react. Regardless of the answer, though, its an ungodly crime that deserves severe punishment.
I agree. For the record, I am very tough on these types of crimes, as my adopted daughter went through a similar experience. :madman:
No excuse for what they did. Period.

 

Not making any excuses for them. Just not jumping to the conclusion that this guy should never see the light of day again.

Not making any excuses for them. Just not jumping to the conclusion that this guy should never see the light of day again.

 

Doesn't the article say that he is eligible for parole in 10 years?

 

I agree that he doesn't deserve more time than those who did the deed(s), but serving 10 years doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount of time for him.

After doing some research on the laws regarding complicity, accomplice, accessory and facilitation, I've come to the conclusion that he was indeed an accomplice and is subject to the same sentencing as the prinicpal accused. Seems a bit unfair, but...

Not making any excuses for them. Just not jumping to the conclusion that this guy should never see the light of day again.

 

I understand. I think your point is that the duress and the chain of command logic should factor in. I get that.

 

IMO this crime is so heinous that those factors lose a lot of their impact.

I understand. I think your point is that the duress and the chain of command logic should factor in. I get that.

 

IMO this crime is so heinous that those factors lose a lot of their impact.

 

Just so sad in so many ways...Reminds me of this heinous crime....

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_War

What i find disturbing is the fact that they are inmates serving less time in the US for similar crimes committed in civilization. I don't think the PFC deserves less time i just think everyone else deserves more time. I think they are politics envolved in the sentencing of this young man. I don't understand the rape in this case. I hear over and over again that rape is not an act of sex but rather an act of aggression and dominance. On the other hand the murder i do understand. Day after day we lose our freinds. There are no time to greive and you must continue the mission. You continue with a bit of silence in the air. The only thing that changes is theres one less person you count for. One less person to conduct pre combat checks on. Theres a certain silence during roll call. A few less jokes and a couple extra MREs. These things eat at the hearts and souls of these men. Especially 18 and 19 year old minds. So I won't judge. I won't except it as right. I won't make excuses. But i won't Judge.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.