Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best offense in Kentucky

Featured Replies

I saw a thread about the best offense in NKY, but what about the whole state? I would say Lexington Catholic is way up there, if not number 1.

Williamsburg would have to be mentioned under Darrell Woods.

The best offense is the one that scores the most points in a game! With that being said, there is no particular offensive scheme that is any better than any other. Talent dictates what you can do and cannot do on offense. Sometimes coaches need to pay attention to what you "cannot do" on offense. Doing what you can't do will get you in trouble quickly!

I'd say Breathitt Co. has been one of the best offenses in the state for the last 10-12 years, although some years were better than others.

I'd say Breathitt Co. has been one of the best offenses in the state for the last 10-12 years, although some years were better than others.

What is the base scheme?

What is the base scheme?

 

I may be a little off on this but I think its the Shotgun-Spread THROW THROW THROW!!!

Year in year out Lex Cath, Cov Cath, Trinity, Danville, Beechwood, NCC, Male, X, Scott Co, Henry Clay, Breathitt are some of the teams that tend to put up a lot of points. If I had to throw money on a couple of teams scoring a lot then it would be Lex Cath and Trinity.

What is the base scheme?

The base scheme is shotgun, 4 wide. We also run primarily out of the I formation. Coach Holcomb isn't as deadset in his offense as some coaches, he will throw more or run more depending on the talents of the team. My senior season we had 4,500 yards passing and probably 2,000 + rushing. However, in 95 and 96 when Breathitt won state titles, they were a very well balanced team.

I'll take Trinty's multiple offense.

I agree. I think you almost have to be in the advance program in school to understand and run their formations.

The base scheme is shotgun, 4 wide. We also run primarily out of the I formation. Coach Holcomb isn't as deadset in his offense as some coaches, he will throw more or run more depending on the talents of the team. My senior season we had 4,500 yards passing and probably 2,000 + rushing. However, in 95 and 96 when Breathitt won state titles, they were a very well balanced team.

How many times did you see the 3-5-3 D scheme thrown at you to shut down the passing attack or was it more 4-3 base. I ask because everytime I see teams try to shut down the spread it opens up huge running lanes in the middle. With a good back that hits the hole fast major 5-8 yards damage can be done quickly placing the D back on its heals and openning up the passing lanes once again.

Off of the top of my head, I think we saw that defense 4-5 times, maybe less, other than that it was mostly cover 2 and 3. When the 3-5-3 was used, we ran all over the place for 10 yards a pop, then when they sucked it back in, we threw over their heads for 20+ yds. When we faced a Cover 2 or 3, we would just run zone routes, sit in the holes and let the quarterback make short passes and the receivers would make the plays.

From what I have seen, Henry Clay has the most explosive offense in the state.

 

Sure they lost all-staters Jeter and Minnifield, but that is it. They return the other nine offensive starters on a team that averaged over 40 points per game last year.

 

They are very balanced and very difficult to defend.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.