April 26, 200719 yr I have never understood what the term "past time" really means. If we are talking in the sense of popularity, then football trumps that of baseball easily. The reason why they show all the draft coverage is because football is simply that popular. It is no secret that NFL draft coverage will get higher ratings than any NBA game (playoffs I might add) or MLB game this coming weekend. I still contend baseball is its own worst victim living in the past and letting baseball purists dictate how the sport should be marketed. I couldn't have said it any better...nice post!
April 26, 200719 yr Football has passed baseball in popularity in the United States, and has become very popular world wide (NFL Europe and NFL Japan), I would say would wide football is the second most popular sport, only to soccer. But, in the US football is by far the most popular sport. As previously stated the significance of each game is one reason, the week long build up to each game is a second. I believe the third reason is that a football game is a huge event - not just a game. You have tailgating for hours before the game, televised pre-game show, the game, rock stars performing at half time, and fireworks. It is not just a game but a whole day affair. College games are even a big event, with celebrities rooting for their Alma mater and huge crowds. High school game are community events, everyone is there the watch the local football team play a rival. How many people do you see at a high school baseball game? The draft, combines, scrimmages, pre-season games, and almost all college games are all televised because the football addicts can't get enough. The NFL even has its own TV network. As long as football is so popular all of the above will be televised.
April 26, 200719 yr I watched most of the DL, OL who participated in the combine and I enjoyed it. :lol:
April 26, 200719 yr Author Baseball is my overall favorite sport, both to play and watch. Football is great to watch but not to play if you are like me and not very good. And Basketball is fun to play on a team or a pick-up game but not fun to watch at all, except for college March Madness. I love to play and/or watch baseball all the time, that is why it is my favorite sport.
April 26, 200719 yr I watched most of the DL, OL who participated in the combine and I enjoyed it. :lol: I enjoy watching the combines. I like the forty times, seeing how fast they are and see how much faster they become according to commentators after they are drafted.:lol: Madden, "He is a 6'12" 340lb offensive lineman, but the most impressive thing is he runs the forty in 3.2 seconds".
April 27, 200719 yr I think one of the reasons that football has passed baseball is because of the marketing. I give a lot of credit to Steve Sabol and NFL Films for this. Also Pete Rozelle. If anyone has noticed baseball is trying to copy some of this now. I don't think it'll work.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.