Word on Berea Job?

Tall Trees

• 3 months later...

The reason that they have not hired a coach is NOT because they have not had qualified applicants or because no one has expressed real interest in the job.

There have been other school systems just as small and just as $$$ strapped that have already hired.

Berea was one of the very first jobs posted this off season and they will be the very last to make a hire.

What kind of statement does that make to the community and the kids?

I guess everyone has to form their own opinions.

Berea would be alot better off to do away with the program all together. Really, I wish Berea would consolidate with the Madison County School system. It would be much better for Madison Southern. Berea has gotten to the point that they really can't compete with anyone in sports. I think their baskektball team won 2 games this season. The baseball team and football team are also very weak.

Berea has struggled lately because of the principal you all can look up his name on your own. He took over in 2002 I think, and since then Berea athletics has suffered. He has hired people for teaching jobs and given them a coaching job. Baseball team has been terrible until this year. Bill Smallwood took over and they are around .500. Bill is also taking over the basketball job again and will do a good job. Football needs someboday with a good knowledge of the game, knows people that could coach around Berea because they won't hire coaches that also teach, and a fire to prove themselves. They also need to make like Billy G. and recruit kids in there hallways. If the administration continues to be there I would rather see Berea shut down.

It's times like these I wish I would of gotten my teaching degree. I would love to take over a school like Berea and bring it up. I had a blast coaching at my old school this past year as a volunteer assistant coach.

It's a shame if it goes under.