Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jim Larranaga steps down.

Featured Replies

Another very good coach calls it quits.

"After more than fifty years in college coaching, it is simply time," Larranaga said in a statement. "There is never a great moment to step away, but I owe it to our student-athletes, our staff and the University of Miami to make this move now when my heart is simply no longer in the game and I owe it to Liz, Jay, Jon, and my grandchildren to be a greater part of their lives. The University needs a new leader of the program, one who is both adept at and embracing of the new world of intercollegiate athletics. It has been the honor of a lifetime to be a part of the Hurricane Family and to represent this world-class institution. Most importantly, I have been so blessed to have coached the hundreds of young men who chose to wear the UM jersey and who have gone on to flourish in their respective journeys. I will always be a Cane."

The landscape of today's college sports is making it nearly impossible for this "old school" coaches to continue. NIL and profit sharing and kids calling the shots, means we lose some of the better coaches. Football has lost Saban, basketball has lost Coach K, Bennett and now Larranaga. Whose next?

As I said in the other thread:

Add Jim Larranaga to the list of coaches stepping away, this one coming in the middle of the Miami season. He cited the college basketball system (i.e. transfer portal and NIL) for the reason he’s so exhausted. 

I love the hypocrisy of these guys. Griping about players leaving programs and then they leave their players high and dry. And I assure you they’re pulling down a hell of a lot more money than the kids. So brave.

On 12/27/2024 at 11:53 AM, Big East Zebra said:

Another very good coach calls it quits.

"After more than fifty years in college coaching, it is simply time," Larranaga said in a statement. "There is never a great moment to step away, but I owe it to our student-athletes, our staff and the University of Miami to make this move now when my heart is simply no longer in the game and I owe it to Liz, Jay, Jon, and my grandchildren to be a greater part of their lives. The University needs a new leader of the program, one who is both adept at and embracing of the new world of intercollegiate athletics. It has been the honor of a lifetime to be a part of the Hurricane Family and to represent this world-class institution. Most importantly, I have been so blessed to have coached the hundreds of young men who chose to wear the UM jersey and who have gone on to flourish in their respective journeys. I will always be a Cane."

The landscape of today's college sports is making it nearly impossible for this "old school" coaches to continue. NIL and profit sharing and kids calling the shots, means we lose some of the better coaches. Football has lost Saban, basketball has lost Coach K, Bennett and now Larranaga. Whose next?

Watched long time coach Cliff Ellis do the same thing at Coastal Carolina last season about 5 games into the 23-24 season.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.