Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region District Tournament Preview

Featured Replies

The 9th Region has 13 teams that participate in district tournaments.  Three teams have already punched their ticket into the 9th Region tournament based on how their districts are set up.  5 teams after Tuesday will have their season come to an end.

Now to take a look at the district tournaments for next week.

33rd - Conner verses Cooper.  Conner goes undefeated in district play and get to play a very tough Cooper team who have one of the most dangerous attackers in the region and will be looking to knock the Cougars out of the regional tournament 2 years in a row.  The other game sees Ryle verses Boone County.  I get the feeling the Rebels have felt disrespected by the coaches poll after their win over Cooper and maybe looking to prove they can make noise in the post season.  This is by far the toughest district in the 9th Region, and it is a shame that only 2 teams get to advance as all 4 teams have had a successful season.  

34th - Dixie Heights get the #1 seed and automatic bid for regions.  St. Henry verses Viila Madonna, I see St. Henry winning and getting another chance to play the Colonels.

35th - Covington Catholic verses Holmes, Covington Catholic get to rest their starters most of this game and should win easily.  Beechwood verses Holy Cross, the Tigers get this win and look to surprise the Colonels on Thursday.  

36th - Highlands verses Newport Central Catholic.  This district makes me so mad.  Only two teams so they both always advance.  No district should be set up this way.  I know KHSAA does it this way due to other sports, but this is just crazy that every year these teams don't have to worry about getting in because they are the only two teams. 

I shouldn't do this, but I'm going to.  Here are my predictions.

Conner and Ryle advance.  Dixie Heights and St. Henry advance.  Covington Catholic and Beechwood advance.  Highlands and Newport Central Catholic are already in.

Regional draw with winners listed first: Covington Catholic verses Newport Central Catholic. Conner verses St. Henry. Dixie Heights verses Beechwood. Highlands verses Ryle.  Covington Catholic verses Conner, Beechwood verses Ryle.  Conner verses Ryle....Conner.  In the words of Lavar Ball "Speak it into existence!"  I'm a homer so like any homer I'm going to go with my heart and visualize my Conner Cougars winning their first regional title in program history.  

For the rest of you, give me your replies on what you think for each district and even region.  We will all know after Tuesday how it will look.

 

District winners: Conner, Dixie, CovCath, Highlands

Runner ups: Boone, St. H, Beechwood, NCC

 

I get you are frustrated by the 36th District but I do not know a logical fix. Dayton, Bellevue, and Newport obviously don't have Men's soccer teams but (surprise) soccer does not dictatethe KHSAA's state districting. Would you feel less upset if Holmes or Villa moved to the 36th district? Does Brossart or Campbell County make more sense? I am just trying to think of a solution to your gripe.

  • Author
1 hour ago, 2 much info said:

District winners: Conner, Dixie, CovCath, Highlands

Runner ups: Boone, St. H, Beechwood, NCC

 

I get you are frustrated by the 36th District but I do not know a logical fix. Dayton, Bellevue, and Newport obviously don't have Men's soccer teams but (surprise) soccer does not dictatethe KHSAA's state districting. Would you feel less upset if Holmes or Villa moved to the 36th district? Does Brossart or Campbell County make more sense? I am just trying to think of a solution to your gripe.

I would do something like this...

33rd - Boone, Conner, Cooper, St. Henry

34th - Beechwood, Dixie Heights, Holy Cross, Villa

35th - Cov Cath, Highlands, Holmes, NCC

I would dissolve the 36th District for boys.  I would move Ryle to the 8th Region and pair them with Walton, SK, and Grant County.  This would leave you 12 teams in the 9th region which means 6 teams now would make the regional tournament.  You could offer 2 byes for 2 district winners.  1 district winner would have to play a loser, and the other bracket would have 2 district losers.  Not the best option, but I'd rather take my chances on something like this.  I won't have a dog in the fight much longer, but this is better than having weak districts who get rewarded because of lack of schools that have no teams.  

12 minutes ago, kyag said:

I would do something like this...

33rd - Boone, Conner, Cooper, St. Henry

34th - Beechwood, Dixie Heights, Holy Cross, Villa

35th - Cov Cath, Highlands, Holmes, NCC

I would dissolve the 36th District for boys.  I would move Ryle to the 8th Region and pair them with Walton, SK, and Grant County.  This would leave you 12 teams in the 9th region which means 6 teams now would make the regional tournament.  You could offer 2 byes for 2 district winners.  1 district winner would have to play a loser, and the other bracket would have 2 district losers.  Not the best option, but I'd rather take my chances on something like this.  I won't have a dog in the fight much longer, but this is better than having weak districts who get rewarded because of lack of schools that have no teams.  

There are definitely some moving parts here... So the 36th District would only dissolve for Men's sports and not women's?  Where do Newport, Dayton, and Bellevue go?

I am not sure redistricting to match current teams' skill level is the best idea. Highlands and NCC were among the best teams in the region last year.

Also, I would not argue the 36th District is a "weak" district this year even if there are only 2 teams - if you took the 33rd District winner, the Conner Cougars, and dropped them into the 36th District right now they would be the bottom seed in District play.

  • Author

1 for 1 so far….the following teams all advanced to regionals: Conner, Ryle, Dixie Heights, St. Henry, Beechwood, Cov Cath, Highlands, NCC

Is there a schedule for the regional tourney

  • Author
1 hour ago, Hoopoop said:

Is there a schedule for the regional tourney

They have not had the regional draw yet.  First round games should be at district winners with semifinals and finals at Dixie Heights.  Regional Tournament starts next week (10/14)

On 10/8/2024 at 10:30 AM, 2 much info said:

District winners: Conner, Dixie, CovCath, Highlands

Runner ups: Boone, St. H, Beechwood, NCC

 

I get you are frustrated by the 36th District but I do not know a logical fix. Dayton, Bellevue, and Newport obviously don't have Men's soccer teams but (surprise) soccer does not dictatethe KHSAA's state districting. Would you feel less upset if Holmes or Villa moved to the 36th district? Does Brossart or Campbell County make more sense? I am just trying to think of a solution to your gripe.

When my son played for HHS in 97 thru 2000 the district was with NCC, Brossart and Campbell County.

 

  • Author

2 for 2, Conner, Dixie Heights, Cov Cath, and Highlands are all district winners with Ryle, St Henry, Beechwood, and NCC advancing as runner-ups. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.