McCracken County 50 Russell 33 (KHSAA Girls' Sweet 16®)

4 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

My perpetual plea for voters to do the right thing and make Claire Johnson the KY Miss Basketball.  

Big congrats to McCracken County!!

Today was a good look for her, if the voters were watching. Head to head, she got the better of another candidate and ended her season.

• Like 1

Tough way to go out for the Devils. McCracken is a really good team, but Russell has to walk away from this with a bad taste in its mouth, knowing they're capable of much more. It sounded like they had plenty of good looks offensively, but couldn't find the bottom of the net. Shooting 2/19 from three won't get it done in the state tournament. 

I've drifted in and out of following Russell over the last few years. I was mostly "in" this season and enjoyed every minute of it. Russell girls basketball couldn't be in better hands than those of Mandy Layne. 

It's hard to believe today was the final chapter in Shaelyn Steele's career in the maroon and gold. Best girls player ever to come through there and arguably the best basketball player, period. She's cast a long shadow and created a legacy that hopefully inspires future Lady Devils to strive for the same greatness. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

Tough way to go out for the Devils. McCracken is a really good team, but Russell has to walk away from this with a bad taste in its mouth, knowing they're capable of much more. It sounded like they had plenty of good looks offensively, but couldn't find the bottom of the net. Shooting 2/19 from three won't get it done in the state tournament. 

I've drifted in and out of following Russell over the last few years. I was mostly "in" this season and enjoyed every minute of it. Russell girls basketball couldn't be in better hands than those of Mandy Layne. 

It's hard to believe today was the final chapter in Shaelyn Steele's career in the maroon and gold. Best girls player ever to come through there and arguably the best basketball player, period. She's cast a long shadow and created a legacy that hopefully inspires future Lady Devils to strive for the same greatness. 

When you shoot bad, everything else is magnified in a bad way. Great season though for the Lady Devils. Steele had a great career, nut Regina Carroll is the best player ever at Russell, boys or girls. She gets inducted into the KHSAA Hall of Fame this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bailey Howell said:

When you shoot bad, everything else is magnified in a bad way. Great season though for the Lady Devils. Steele had a great career, nut Regina Carroll is the best player ever at Russell, boys or girls. She gets inducted into the KHSAA Hall of Fame this year.

Regina was before my time and no doubt a great player. Perhaps most accomplished is more appropriate for Steele? All-time scorer (possibly rebounder too), three region titles, and a major college commit. I don't know if anyone at Russell can match that.

• theguru changed the title to McCracken County 50 Russell 33 (KHSAA Girls' Sweet 16®)