Lyon County 58 Henderson County 44 (2nd Region Championship)

10 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I am glad for the state and myself to see Travis Perry play some more before he comes to the Cats.

I don't know about Wednesday but if they win their first round game, I suspect there will be a large crowd to see them on Friday afternoon.

Henderson County battled the Lions for a half, but Jack Reddick's 3-pointer to open up the 2nd half from a step in front of the center circle was a huge momentum shift in the game.  The first half saw both teams trading jabs as Lyon County opened up in a man-to-man defense.  The Lions abandoned their typical high-intensity zone pressure for a solid half-court defense.  The Colonels struggled to get clean looks but stayed within striking distance by limiting Lyon County's transition offense and being deliberate with the ball.  

However, after Reddick drained the deep 3 to open the 3rd quarter, the Lion's defense went into attack mode and forced a handful of turnovers over the next two minutes.  In 3 minutes, Lyon County had completed a 14-0 run to take a 16-point lead.  The Colonels regrouped to launch their own 13-3 run to cut the lead to 6 with under 2 left in the 3rd Quarter.  Perry ended the Colonel's run with a deep 3 of his own to put LC back up 9.  At that point, strong ball handling and great FT shooting allowed Lyon County to play keep away for the last 10 minutes of the game.  

Henderson County took their first loss in the 2nd region last night to a great Lyon County team.  They are losing some key pieces in PG Alec Satterfield, the school's new all-time leader in single-season and career assists.  In addition, they are losing some key supporting role players, particularly Thompson and Sonogo-Kendrick who played key roles off the bench in last night's championship game.  However, The Colonel's return all-region guard Cooper Davenport and juniors Suggs, Moss, and McKinney.  Thus, I expect Henderson County to contend again next season. 

Lyon County proved they have the versatility to play a slow-tempo half-court game in addition to their trademark breakneck pace.   This will serve them well at Rupp Arena next week.  Lyon County has a special senior class boasting 3 D1 players in Perry- UK, Reddick- FGCU, and Shoulders- UT Martin.  In addition, their young role players in Kirk, Breedlove and Defew have improved significantly this season.  This is a much more complete team representing the 2nd region this year than last season.  My prediction is the Lyon County Lions will cut down the nets at Rupp Arena next Saturday night. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...