7th Region Tournament Preview

The 7th Region tournament tips off today with every quarterfinal game starting at 7:00 at the host schools. Three of the top four teams are on one side of the bracket so Trinity, Manual, and Male will have a tough road to make the championship but will be battle tested. On the other side Saint Xavier looks to have a easier path to the championship. It looks like a possible Trinity vs. St. X final but Male or Manual are going to be tough outs so they can't be counted out. The semifinals and championship will be played at Valley HS. The semifinals will be on Friday at 5:30 and 7:30. The championship will be on Monday at 7:00. 

Quarterfinals: (Host team in bold).

Trinity (23-7) vs. Ballard (14-15)

Previous meeting: Trinity beat Ballard 63-59.

Top scorers:

Trinity: Andrae Vasser 14.7 ppg.

Ballard: Sam Frazier 18.3 ppg.

Manual (27-4) vs. Male (22-10)

Previous meeting: Manual beat Male 70-46.

Top scorers:

Manual: Malachi Coleman 16.0 ppg.

Male: Cole Edelen 21.6 ppg.

Saint Xavier (29-3) vs. Shawnee (15-13)

Previous meeting: None this season.

Top scorers:

St. X : Chance Dillingham 17.5 ppg.

Shawnee: Jack Lindsey 13.6 ppg.

Eastern (22-9) vs. Seneca (15-15)

Previous meeting: Eastern beat Seneca 48-42

Top scorers:

Eastern: Sam Locke 16.0 ppg.

Seneca: QuelRon House 27.7 ppg.

It's interesting that St. X and Manual haven't played each other this season so unless meet in the championship they will not play. For some reason Manual didn't want to play St. X this year. I guess it's possible couldn't get dates right but I know St. X wanted to play them. Many good games between them over the years.

I am no basketball expert any means but I am concerned that Trinity may have lost little of its mojo lately.   They have had a slew of injuries (most everyone is back now) but I wonder if not having Coach Szabo is affecting them now.   No offense to the interim coach but Szabo "has been there, done that" in a big way.   I hope my concerns are unfounded.  I guess we'll see.