NKY Girls Basketball Top 10 (1/29/24)

Well first and foremost, Congrats to the Holy Cross Indians on defending their All A Classic State Championship; that is very impressive!  That is HC's 3rd All A State title in 10 years (2015, 2023, and 2024)...heckuva run.  They also allowed NKY to sweep the Boys and Girls titles for the 3rd time ever (2012, 2015, and 2024), so that is awesome as well (Congrats Newport Boys!!!).  Way to rep the 9th and the N-K-Y!!

Also, congrats to Cooper for a great tourney down at the LIT, suffering a narrow loss to Sacred Heart in the semis.   Cooper just keeps playing at an incredibly high level, and I believe they'll be the 2nd ranked team in Kentucky in the Statewide Media Poll when it comes out on Wednesday (or at least they should be...but I know GRC gets a lot of love from the media in the central part of the state).  Coach Holthaus and his ladies, assuming they get out of the 9th and don't draw into SHA's half of the bracket, have a great chance to play for a KHSAA Kentucky Sweet 16 State Championship.  They are that good.

A couple of quick notes for this week's Poll.  First, you'll see I flipped SK and Highlands in spite of SK not winning a game.  Playing SHA, in Louisville, closer than Highlands played Ryle at NKU was the key factor.  SK continues their brutal stretch of games, they will be hard-pressed to get a win in either game this week, but they play everyone tough and they compete...two things you have to love.  Also, St. Henry's win over Conner was both unexpected (congrats Coach Smart!) but also tossed the bottom-half of the poll into a bit of disarray.  The three 10th teams in the area have some gaudy records but they all lack for quality wins, and they each have taken some head-scratching losses along the way (either in opponent or margin of loss). 

There are some great games to get out and see this week:  Cooper vs Simon Kenton, Cooper at Notre Dame, Ryle vs Frederick Douglass, Simon Kenton vs Anderson County, Dixie hosting Sacred Heart (gulp), Grant County at Walton Verona, and the battle for 10th in the poll:  Bishop Brossart visiting St. Henry.  Get out and see some hoops this week!!!

1.  Cooper  18-4 (2-1):  vs. Simon Kenton and at Notre Dame (Saturday, the 3rd, at 4:30)

2.  Holy Cross  19-5 (4-0):  vs Lloyd

3.  Notre Dame  15-4 (1-0):  at Campbell County, at Boone County, and vs Cooper (details above)

4.  Ryle  12-7 (1-0):  vs Frederick Douglass and vs Scott

5.  Simon Kenton  14-6 (0-1):  vs Anderson County (state Top 5) and at Cooper (state Top 3)

6.  Highlands  14-6 (2-1):  vs Bishop Brossart and vs Montgomery County at Augusta

7.  Dixie  11-8 (1-0):  vs Ludlow, vs Owen County, and vs Sacred Heart (state Top 1)

8.  Grant County  13-5 (2-0):  vs LexCath, at Walton-Verona, vs Campbell Co., and at Summit Country Day (OH)

9.  NewCath  14-6 (2-0):  at Scott, vs Beechwood, and at Bellevue

10. Bishop Brossart  13-6 (1-2):  at St. Henry and at Highlands

==================================

8th:  Walton Verona 12-8

9th:  St. Henry 11-8, Conner 10-11, Bellevue 15-5

10th:  Scott 14-7, Campbell County 13-7  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

DD - Great job with the rankings this week!

Thanks "Nut".  

I was disappointed to see the Holy Cross "team" picture in the "Enquirer" and you and Coach Trame weren't in there.  You guys did so much to cover the Girls' run through the 9th All A (all but one game, I believe), and then down to Corbin for those games, but they couldn't get you guys in the photo!?  Miss on their part, "Nut", you guys do a GREAT job for that program.  

Thanks for all you do to add exposure to girls' basketball throughout the area.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

Thanks "Nut".  

I was disappointed to see the Holy Cross "team" picture in the "Enquirer" and you and Coach Trame weren't in there.  You guys did so much to cover the Girls' run through the 9th All A (all but one game, I believe), and then down to Corbin for those games, but they couldn't get you guys in the photo!?  Miss on their part, "Nut", you guys do a GREAT job for that program.  

Good call DD I agree they should have been in that pic.  They are definitely much appreciated for their coverage of both the boys and girls. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

Thanks "Nut".  

I really appreciate the kind words DD and Rjal. It’s all been about the kids though I’m just a small part of the program who loves Holy Cross and our kids! Our radio show has been a huge success over the years but it’s easy to do when you love doing it and you build up an awesome fan base over the years! I truly appreciate the kind words!

• Like 4