NKY Girls Basketball Top 10 (1/15/24)

Good morning NKY Girls' Basketball fans!  We had a terrific week of basketball around NKY, and in a few cases, it was teams in defeat that showed an awful lot about what they could be capable of.  Holy Cross losing by 2 at GRC (KY #2) was very impressive, doubly so when you decipher some of the "oddities" of the game management.  Ryle played Cooper on Friday night right to the end, and doing so without the future Penguin, Sarah Baker, in the 2nd half.  Simon Kenton had Notre Dame on the ropes in Park Hills before a late Panda flurry turned the game in the last minute.  

I contemplated flipping NDA and HC this week, but as the schedule gods' would have it, they'll settle it on the court in Park Hills on Wednesday.  I've said all year I think NDA wins this game, but HC is undoubtedly playing better right now, plus you add in the rivalry layer, and the former coach leading the home team, well, you get the picture, it will be GREAT.  Pack the stands for the young ladies.   Alas, the only movement this week is replacing WV at #10 with red-hot Conner (winners of 6 of 7), who, coincidentally, also has a head-to-win over WV anyway.  Here is this week's top 10, and others, along with their opponents for this week!  Bundle up!!

1.  Cooper  16-3 (2-0 last week):  vs Boone County and vs McCracken County at Mercy (Great Game)

2.  Notre Dame 14-3 (2-1):  vs Holy Cross (Wednesday night in Park Hills!) and vs Henry Clay

3.  Holy Cross 12-5 (1-1):  at Notre Dame, at Campbell County (sneaky good game), and at Beechwood

4.  Ryle 10-7 (0-2):  at Conner (really interesting one!!!) and vs Southwestern at Mercy

5.  Highlands 10-5 (2-0):  vs Dayton and vs NewCath

6.  Simon Kenton 12-5 (2-1):  at St. Henry and vs Williamstown (not sure this one will happen)

7.  Grant County 11-4 (1-0):  vs Conner (really good game!) and at Walton Verona (also a good one!)

8.  Campbell County 12-4 (1-1):  vs Lloyd, vs Holy Cross, and vs Oldham County

9.  Bishop Brossart 11-3 (off):  at Boone County and vs Lloyd

10. Conner 8-10 (2-1):  at Grant County and vs Ryle

==========================

8th:  Walton Verona 11-7

9th:  NewCath 11-5, Bellevue 11-4, St. Henry 7-7

10th:  Scott 11-6

Have a great week, stay warm, and get out and enjoy some of the great games around the area this week!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I am extremely impressed how Highlands has grown throughout the season.  Looking forward to the rest of the 14 games on the schedule.  Based on paper and using your rankings, they should possibly have very winnable games minus the Ryle and possibly the Mont Co game....  Still must play and they have some tough competition vs teams right behind them in the rankings.  I am also interested to see how they do vs the rematch against the Camels next week, to revenge a early season loss.

Keep up the great work TDD!

#GOBIRDS, growing before our eyes quickly!

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 9:18 AM, The Double Deuce said:

Good morning NKY Girls' Basketball fans!  We had a terrific week of basketball around NKY, and in a few cases, it was teams in defeat that showed an awful lot about what they could be capable of.  Holy Cross losing by 2 at GRC (KY #2) was very impressive, doubly so when you decipher some of the "oddities" of the game management.  Ryle played Cooper on Friday night right to the end, and doing so without the future Penguin, Sarah Baker, in the 2nd half.  Simon Kenton had Notre Dame on the ropes in Park Hills before a late Panda flurry turned the game in the last minute.  

I contemplated flipping NDA and HC this week, but as the schedule gods' would have it, they'll settle it on the court in Park Hills on Wednesday.  I've said all year I think NDA wins this game, but HC is undoubtedly playing better right now, plus you add in the rivalry layer, and the former coach leading the home team, well, you get the picture, it will be GREAT.  Pack the stands for the young ladies.   Alas, the only movement this week is replacing WV at #10 with red-hot Conner (winners of 6 of 7), who, coincidentally, also has a head-to-win over WV anyway.  Here is this week's top 10, and others, along with their opponents for this week!  Bundle up!!

1.  Cooper  16-3 (2-0 last week):  vs Boone County and vs McCracken County at Mercy (Great Game)

2.  Notre Dame 14-3 (2-1):  vs Holy Cross (Wednesday night in Park Hills!) and vs Henry Clay

3.  Holy Cross 12-5 (1-1):  at Notre Dame, at Campbell County (sneaky good game), and at Beechwood

4.  Ryle 10-7 (0-2):  at Conner (really interesting one!!!) and vs Southwestern at Mercy

5.  Highlands 10-5 (2-0):  vs Dayton and vs NewCath

6.  Simon Kenton 12-5 (2-1):  at St. Henry and vs Williamstown (not sure this one will happen)

7.  Grant County 11-4 (1-0):  vs Conner (really good game!) and at Walton Verona (also a good one!)

8.  Campbell County 12-4 (1-1):  vs Lloyd, vs Holy Cross, and vs Oldham County

9.  Bishop Brossart 11-3 (off):  at Boone County and vs Lloyd

10. Conner 8-10 (2-1):  at Grant County and vs Ryle

==========================

8th:  Walton Verona 11-7

9th:  NewCath 11-5, Bellevue 11-4, St. Henry 7-7

10th:  Scott 11-6

Have a great week, stay warm, and get out and enjoy some of the great games around the area this week!

Well DD - it looks like my Indians get round 1 vs Notre Dame last night 39-30 in Park Hills. They need to avoid a let down tonight when they travel to Campbell Co. That should be a good game.

• Like 1