Saint Xavier 2 Ryle 1 (KHSAA State Semifinals)

• Tigerpride94 changed the title to Saint Xavier 2 Ryle 1 (KHSAA State Semifinals)

What a fantastic semifinal game.  The fans got their moneys worth.  I must say the Best Player on the field last night had to be Ryle keeper Landon Barth.  He is an absolute stud!  If he isn't getting D1 offers from colleges, then men's college recruiters are blind as the refs.  He was the one that singlehandedly almost got Ryle into the finals.  He was diving left/right jumping in the air deflecting shot after shot.  St. X's only goal in regulation came on a handling offense in the box at the end of the 1st half resulting in a PK which St X was able to convert barely!

Ryle then equalized the score early in the 2nd half from a bomb of a free kick from the 50 yd line that hit in the middle of the box.  Ryle had a nice "no call" push in the back on a St X defender, so the ball was able to get to the head of a Ryle attacker to flick it into the back of the net.  St. X was crying for a foul that wasn't called.  Game tied 1-1

Nothing else to see here in the the 2nd half except for some awesome saves by Barth and St. X keeper to keep the score tied. 

OT came and went, with a few opportunities that didn't pan out.

Onto PKs:

Ryle kicked 1st and converted/St. X answered 1-1 

Ryle and St X were denied with incredible saves by both keepers, still 1-1

Ryle and St X AGAIN were denied with incredible saves by both keepers, still 1-1

Ryle and St X both hammer their shots into the net, now 2-2

Ryle blasts one over the crossbar, St. X for the win puts it in the back of the net for a 3-2 kicks from the mark victory.

Again, tonight was the night to showcase both Ryle and St X's keepers.... I love it!  All the saves during the game and then they both make 2 tremendous stops during the shootout.....They did everything they could have done to keep both of their teams in this game.

Well done fellas!

Congrats to a great season to my fellow 9th Region brothers, you represented NKY with pride!

Good luck on Saturday to St. X!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1