Covington Catholic 1 Highlands 1

kyag

Just from updates I was receiving:  was tied 0-0 at the half, CovCath got one (Wessels, usually the Left Back) and then 5 minutes later Highlands equalized (DeSylva).

In terms of possession, the flow of the game, or who had chances that were missed, I have no idea -- it wasn't a Soccer savant that was giving me updates, but I do appreciate them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@The Double Deuce the updates you received were delayed in timing I guess :)  The back to back goals within 5 minutes is accurate but they actually happened in the end portion of the 1st half.

Cov Cath goal:  Was a free kick right outside the 18 box, probably 25/30 yards out.  Cov Cath attackers and Bird defenders were overloaded on the right side of the 18 box.  Cov Cath's kick was a little chip shot right in the middle of the box where it was bulldozered into the goal by a plethora of Colonels.  It looked like the attackers just ran right by the defenders.

Highlands goal:  Just a few minutes later and if I am not mistaken with less than a minute on the clock, Chad Gesenhues threw a sweet LOOOOOONG throw in into the box (ala a Corner Kick) and Z DeSylva used his height and vertical jumping capabilities to his advantage and put a sweet header into the back of the net!

Halftime: 1-1

Second half:

Highlands could not make any connecting passes, they never won any 50/50 balls in the air.  I could count probably on 1 hand the amount of times Highlands won a goal kick or punt delivered by Jack Wilson from goal.  Luckily the Bird defense was a "Bend don't break" all half long.  Cov Cath had some nice pops that Jack was able to get his hands on to deflect it just enough to keep that go ahead goal from happening.

Highlands did have maybe 1 or 2 really good opportunities right at the end of the game but just couldn't make it happen.

It might have ended in a tie, but it felt like a Cov Cath win and a Highlands loss to me with the amount of opportunities and possession time Cov Cath had and Highlands didn't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We all know that soccer is 80 minutes of 3 second moments. Prognosticating is pointless when you realize that. Last night CCH just had many more moments.

This has been a crazy regular season thus far. A lot of assumptions and expectations have been proven either highly exaggerated or outright wrong. That's the fun of it to me now that I no longer have a player in HS. The story lines are sometimes more impressive than the games.

Goliath expects David, and gets a stone to the dome.

Post season is going to be a blast.

• Like 2