Open Job: Fort Knox

Coach Wes Arnold announced today that he is stepping down as head coach for the Eagles in order to have more time with his family.

Dear Fort Knox Football Family,

I met with the team today to tell them that I will be stepping down as head football coach at Fort Knox Middle High School. This was not an easy decision to arrive at and it has weighed heavy on my heart. I am stepping down to be able to spend more time with my family. My three sons are getting older and I have started to miss a lot of their activities, sports and just missed a lot of time with them. I know this seems abrupt with our season just wrapping up, but I wanted to give our school leadership as much time as possible to find a great candidate to lead the program.

It had been my dream to be a high school football head coach, and these past five years I got to do my dream job everyday. For thirteen straight years high school football has been a major part of my life and my family's. It is time for me to start a new chapter in my life and be at home more as I know I can't get this time with my family back. I am very grateful that I will be remaining at Fort Knox as a teacher and will continue to be the biggest fan of all Eagles athletics here.

I would like to thank our principal Dr. Stacie Lamoureux for her support all season and for this big transition in my life. Thank you to all the parents, community and its leaders past and present, for your amazing support these past five years. Finally I want to thank all of our student athletes that I have had the privilege and joy to coach both as an assistant and head coach. Being the head coach at Fort Knox Middle High School has been the ultimate joy of my coaching career. I look forward to watch the continued growth and success of this football program.

Go Eagles!
Wes Arnold 

• Thanks 1

One of the most impressive things I ever saw any HS coach do, was how Coach Arnold took care of his kids when they were denied a 2020 season.  And then, when they got back going in 2021, he went above and beyond to give them the best experience possible. Coach Arnold is an awful good man and football coach. KY HS Football will miss him... especially the kids who play the game. 

• Like 6

One of the toughest jobs in the state if only because you literally don't know from day to day who might be on or off your team. They've definitely made improvements in recent years thanks to the work of Coach Arnold. I hope he enjoys his time to relax!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Per the KHSAA directory and the Department of Defense Education Activity at Fort Knox, Merrill Walter has been named head football coach of the Fort Knox Eagles.

No further info has been made available on Coach Walter's coaching resume. Anyone?

Per source, Merrill Walter has been an assistant coach at Fort Knox for the last 3 years. He also has coaching experience from overseas bases for the DoDEA in addition to coaching experience in Florida prior to coming on with the DoDEA.