Chance for Accumulating Snow Thursday (1/6/22)

Most of Kentucky has a chance at receiving accumulating snow on Thursday. The only real question is how much. That is still uncertain. Let us take a brief look at a couple of models. One thing to note is that all three models I will be showing are showing the low pressure starting in about the same place just east of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado Wednesday evening.

First the Canadian shows the low moving southeast down to Louisiana before it changes directions northeasterly. The low pass just to the southeast of Kentucky before it moves off the east coast. It will then move up the coast and could become a nor'easter. It also has the snow lasting a little longer than the Euro.

floop-gdps-2022010312.prateptype.conus.thumb.gif.243d868db22fd31de2f468a70ee59c24.gif

Now for the Euro. It has the low just a little further east than the Canadian. It has to low passing closer to Kentucky and staying on land just a little longer than the Canadian before it moves off the east coast

floop-ecmwf_full-2022010312.prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.thumb.gif.1ce8647a15c8263c2679964e7c4cfac2.gif

The GFS has the low in Colorado also. I think it is having a little trouble reading this system. It moves in the same general direction as the other two models but then it shows the low disappearing. Then it reappears off the east coast. Also is showing not much snow as the other two. Plus just snow for the southeast portions of Kentucky.

floop-gfs-2022010312.prateptype_cat.conus.thumb.gif.a3ca70721cfef81537dab6e477ea171d.gif

Now for what each model is showing for accumulations. A word of caution these are just a snapshot in time and will change as we get closer. The Canadian will be first.

snku_024h.us_ov.thumb.png.d88f6679022f81cfa0884d3d0c244153.png

The Euro

euro.thumb.png.8918ec5e3cf7ff729a4c93ca162b3a35.png

The GFS

snku_acc.us_state_ky_tn.thumb.png.eae90e1f86e45bd4d917b9ac84a0680d.png

Everyone can see that the Canadian and European models are close in agreement. The Canadian is showing higher totals because it has the snow lasting longer.  The GFS is showing a lot less in accumulations. I should start getting a better read on possible accumulation totals by tomorrow evening. I'd say some will get some snow but how much is still up in the air. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Seems like this system has shifted a lot further south with this evenings models runs. 

Yes it has.

Here's the latest hazard map from the Weather Prediction Center Just release about 6 minutes ago. It has a large section of Kentucky receiving heavy snow from Thursday to Friday.

hazards_d3_7_contours.thumb.png.d03729823203495cfb04074cd133cc77.png

• Thanks 1

I will be posting my first call for snow later this evening. Here's the latest from the Weather Prediction Center.

FIPyHNWVcAgA8bs.thumb.jpg.c6971d63bc6e3b22af1ddf415c8d4755.jpg

For those looking for accumulating snow, it's increasingly looking like you will get your wish on Thursday. 

2 hours ago, nWo said:

For those looking for accumulating snow, it's increasingly looking like you will get your wish on Thursday. 

Am I reading it correctly that those models are in Zulu time?  So, if it shows it hitting us at 18z on Thursday, that puts it around 1pm local, right?

1 minute ago, CincySportsFan said:

Am I reading it correctly that those models are in Zulu time?  So, if it shows it hitting us at 18z on Thursday, that puts it around 1pm local, right?

That is correct if the modeling data holds. It is mainly called Universal Time now but Zulu time is also used sometimes. 

Just now, nWo said:

That is correct if the modeling data holds. It is mainly called Universal Time now but Zulu time is also used sometimes. 

Well, I guess I'm an old fart, hahaha...so, I'm not up to date on the new terminology.  I just saw the "z" next to the time stamps and that was the only thing I could come up with.  Does anybody even use Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) anymore, either?  Or have they both been replaced by Universal? 

5 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Well, I guess I'm an old fart, hahaha...so, I'm not up to date on the new terminology.  I just saw the "z" next to the time stamps and that was the only thing I could come up with.  Does anybody even use Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) anymore, either?  Or have they both been replaced by Universal? 

It's mainly now Universal Time but you can still use the other names for it.