South Oldham vs. Atherton Predictions/Updates

Who:   South Oldham (8-3) vs. Atherton (6-5)

What:  2nd Round (District championship) Class 5A playoffs

Where:  Mitchell Irvin Stadium, Crestwood, KY, South Oldham HS

When:  Friday, 11/12/21   Kickoff 7:30 pm

Broadcast:  Free, live high definition video coverage starts at 7:00 pm ET on www.pegasussportsky.com

Series:   South is undefeated against Atherton since 1998, going 5-0 in that span and only surrendering over 6 points once (South beat Atherton, 48-14, in the regular season this year.

Jamie Reed is in his 12th season at South and has never had a losing season.   His 105 victories at the school are the most in school history and may be the most of any head coach in the county's history.  (still checking on that one)

Anthony White is in his third year at Atherton, and, at 6-5, has led the Ravens to a remarkable improvement.    He is 12-16 overall at the school, but led the team to its first playoff victory this century when the Ravens knocked off defending district champ North Bullitt, 21-7, last week.

I don't have much time to write....but....quick notes....

>  Atherton will have to find a way to disrupt the South offense someway, somehow.   During the regular season matchup, the Dragons completed all nine of their passes for 247 yards and 4 scores, while rushing for over 230 yards as a team.   Kyle Smythe rushed for nearly 120 yards in that game, but Smythe may be a game-time decision tonight with a minor injury.    Still, even without their leading rusher, the Dragons have a wealth of runners in Jack McCubbin, Jeffrey Burton, Luke Oliveros, and QB Devlin McGee, who torched the Ravens for over 200 yards / 4 TDs passing and ran for 32 yards and another in the regular season matchup.   If the Ravens don't manage to "bother" McGee in some way, this could be a long night for Atherton.

> South will try to stop the big play from happening; in particular, the Dragons need to slow down Channce Thompson.   The Ravens' Mr. Do-It-All passes / runs / catches.....he threw for 85 yards and a TD in the first meeting, while running for 33 yards (on just 3 carries) and another score.   While he was at it, he caught 5 passes for 72 yards.    (rumor has it that he drove the team bus to the game and also cooked the pregame meal, but that rumor is still being researched)   The Ravens are definite underdogs in this one, but big plays have a way of sometimes evening the playing field.

It'll be a cold night in Crestwood (and no press box), but the predicted rain looks likely to stop before game time.

I'll post updates if my frozen fingers will cooperate.

CM

Unfortunately, Pegasus is going to have to sit this one out.

South Oldham is in the middle of renovating their facilities, and there is no press box at this time.    Also, there is no power in the stands.

As of 4:45 pm, the weather is wet / cold, but not bad.   Thanks to a tent provided by South Oldham in the stands, along with some plastic I've obtained to cover the sides, and a new generator that Pegasus purchased to provide power, we would probably be fine if everything stayed as it is now.

But if the wind comes up as they are predicting (weather forecast calling for wind gusts over 20 mph at game time), and if that next line of rain comes through around 7-7:30 pm as expected, it will be nearly impossible for us to save the equipment in time.   Unfortunately, rain storms don't always announce themselves with enough warning for me to pick up and protect all of my sensitive electronics, including a camera, laptop, mixer, etc. - and also the generator, which isn't really designed for wet conditions.   I just can't risk thousands of dollars of gear on a roll of the dice.

If South Oldham wins tonight, PSN will travel with the Dragons, who would likely go on the road next week, for the third round.

My apologies; in 42 years of broadcasting HS sports in Oldham County, I think I've cancelled fewer than a half-dozen broadcasts....hate to add one to that last during the playoffs.

CM

• Like 3

Hate that you had to cancel but renovations complicate things. Think about how much better it will be once it’s finished. You’ll be broadcasting in luxury!

• Like 1
On 11/12/2021 at 5:22 PM, gchs_uk9 said:

Hate that you had to cancel but renovations complicate things. Think about how much better it will be once it’s finished. You’ll be broadcasting in luxury!

They have a really nice stadium already, but the press box in Crestwood was seriously overdue for renovations....   wish they could have done the renovations in the off-season, however.  

• Like 1