Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Round 2 Playoff Story: Ray Graham

Featured Replies

In 2007 (round 2 of playoffs) , our Mason County Team is headed to Flatwoods for Round 2. Russell had beat us at home in OT a few weeks earlier. Harrison County and Ray Graham are big underdogs, headed to Franklin County. 

Ray and I are good friends, going back to 1969. Ray played at Danville against my Dad's Boyle teams. Ray's Dad, Gippy, was the basketball coach at Boyle and one of my Dad's best friends. 

Ray and I talk on the phone that week, and I tell him my pregame speech for the Russell game:

"We are going into the Devil's den. We are going to stick our hand in his chest, rip out his heart, look him in the eye, and watch him while he bleeds and dies!"  

We go to Russell. They beat us in another close game. We are disappointed and loading the bus. My phone begins to buzz, I look down and it says "Ray Graham."

 

I answer the phone, and in that voice that only Ray Graham has, he says, "David, David, we WON, we WON and I used your pregame speech!"

I said, "That doesn't make any sense. They are the Flyers."

He says, " I know! I used it anyway!"  ?

 

 

Franklin County QB layed an egg, refused to throw the ball. FC also had its two best players limited with Sprained knees, if I recall it was Deron Hicks, and Terry Metcalf. Big win for Ray. That Flyers team was tough on defense. 

  • Author
1 hour ago, FLYGUY said:

Franklin County QB layed an egg, refused to throw the ball. FC also had its two best players limited with Sprained knees, if I recall it was Deron Hicks, and Terry Metcalf. Big win for Ray. That Flyers team was tough on defense. 

If that came across as a dig against the Flyers, I apologize. That was absolutely not my intention. The Flyers have been playing awful good football for a long time. And, the 2021 version may very well finish as the best team in 4A. You guys are awful good.... and will be for a long time to come. 

3 hours ago, FLYGUY said:

Franklin County QB layed an egg, refused to throw the ball. FC also had its two best players limited with Sprained knees, if I recall it was Deron Hicks, and Terry Metcalf. Big win for Ray. That Flyers team was tough on defense. 

Franklin County was tough that year, I remember watching that game.  Terry Metcalf was put out of the game the first series and I think Deron Hicks the second series if my memory serves right.  That was a huge win for Coach Graham against a very talented Franklin County team.  

2 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

If that came across as a dig against the Flyers, I apologize. That was absolutely not my intention. The Flyers have been playing awful good football for a long time. And, the 2021 version may very well finish as the best team in 4A. You guys are awful good.... and will be for a long time to come. 

lol, no way, just football! 

This reminds me of an anecdote by Jim Valvano from his famous "don't give up, don't ever give up" speech. He read a speech by Vince Lombardi where Lombardi told his players in order to be successful, they needed to focus on family, faith, and the Green Bay Packers. Valvano stole the speech to use before a game while coaching basketball, but forgot to change Green Bay Packers to Rutgers basketball.

So Valvano is hyping up his Rutgers basketball team before a game and tells them (I'm paraphrasing a little) "Gentleman, there are only three things we need to focus on in order to be successful... family, faith, and the Green Bay Packers!".

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.