Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Difference in Refs by Region

Featured Replies

Is there a significant difference in the way Ref's call a game depending on what Region you are in?

I noticed in the Sweet 16 at Rupp last year that the Ref's didn't call "touch fouls" and let the game be played very aggressively. They also didn't tend to call a lot of walks off the dribble.

After watching 10 games or so over the last few days at the 5/3 tournament in Lexington , I noticed a huge difference in how these games are officiated versus the games in the 16th region. They let these kids play ball like they do in college. (I love it!). Someone said a Ref bases the way they call the game on the "athleticism" on the floor. Am I the only one that sees it this way?

I think overall the Ref's in the 16th have done a great job this season, and its basically the same guys we have always had. We are quick to point out their faults so I think they need a pat on the back when they deserve it.

Is there a significant difference in the way Ref's call a game depending on what Region you are in?

I noticed in the Sweet 16 at Rupp last year that the Ref's didn't call "touch fouls" and let the game be played very aggressively. They also didn't tend to call a lot of walks off the dribble.

After watching 10 games or so over the last few days at the 5/3 tournament in Lexington , I noticed a huge difference in how these games are officiated versus the games in the 16th region. They let these kids play ball like they do in college. (I love it!). Someone said a Ref bases the way they call the game on the "athleticism" on the floor. Am I the only one that sees it this way?

 

Nope, and that is one reason why the better team around the Commonwealth play at these tournaments or at least try to schedule games outside of their regions. Different Region Referees (understand I think the rules are the same throughout the Commonwealth) interpret the rules differently. I know in the Ninth Region, if you look at a player, you will get a whistle, but I have seen other Regions Ref's not call a foul when a player gets mugged. As a fan, all I ask from the Referee is to be consistence in their calling a game, be it a touchy feely or a blood bath. Call it one way, or the other throughout the entire game, and don't change once you have started calling it one way or the other.....

Russellrooter, I cannot agree with you more. I think that the 16th region officials are some of the weakest officials I have ever seen. As a coach, I played a game in the 10th region the other day. My big man got two offensive calls on him. The first was obvious and the 2nd was very suspect. The ref saw the anger on my face came over and told me, "coach he dipped his shoulder, I had a good angle". OK, I said. How do you argue with a guy who had absolute confidence in his ability as an official. In the 16th, you get no interaction as a coach with officials. The only thing you get from them is, Im calling the game coach you just coach. That is garbage. The BBA has some of the best officials in the state in my opinion.

  • Author

When I posted this thread, I didn't mean to say that the 16th region reps were necessarily bad refs. My intention was to point out an enormous difference in the way games are called in the 16th Reg vs what I saw over 3 days in Lexington's 5/3 tourny. I would say that the 16th region Refs are consistent in how they call games (touch fouls, walks, charges) but I know for certain it is "different" (better or worse is open for debate) than the rest of the State.

I moved from the 16th to just outside of Louisville six years ago. Without question, the game is officiated differently here.

 

I think that over the last 30 years, the 16th Region has enjoyed extremely good officiating (speaking collectively).

 

Officials in the Louisville area definitely do not call the game as closely as the 16th region officials do. I agree completely with TheOldGuy - call it close, or call it loose, but stay consistent throughout the course of a game.

 

 

Frances

Russellrooter, I cannot agree with you more. I think that the 16th region officials are some of the weakest officials I have ever seen. As a coach, I played a game in the 10th region the other day. My big man got two offensive calls on him. The first was obvious and the 2nd was very suspect. The ref saw the anger on my face came over and told me, "coach he dipped his shoulder, I had a good angle". OK, I said. How do you argue with a guy who had absolute confidence in his ability as an official. In the 16th, you get no interaction as a coach with officials. The only thing you get from them is, Im calling the game coach you just coach. That is garbage. The BBA has some of the best officials in the state in my opinion.

 

I believe that 10th region officials are the best I have seen throughout the state over the years...even though I still like to give them heck! :D

As a player from the Tenth who has played against alot of Ninth Region schools, there is definitely a difference. 10th Region Officials will let you play and the 9th Region Officials will (like oldguy said earlier) call you for a foul for looking at a guy.

I believe that 10th region officials are the best I have seen throughout the state over the years...even though I still like to give them heck! :D

I agree 100%. They are consistent game in, game out.

Absolutely. One example, the Bluegrass Association strictly enforces the "No Assistant Coach Standing" rule. I have went to other regions and played games, asked about what the assistant coach can do and they said as long as they are not yelling at the refs they could stand and coach. In the Bluegrass that covers the 10th and 11th, that would not happen.

 

I have seen several games where a standing assistant coach resulted in a technical during a 10th region game.

They way I see it is the further you get from Louisville and Lexington the more fouls are called.

Give me 10th region over 8th and 9th anyday!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.