Corbin 35 Christ School (NC) 21

Cheese

With a flee flicker to begin the game. Christ School goes up 14-0 to start the game. Corbin then scores 35 unanswered points. Baker setting a Corbin school record and hitting a 51 yard field goal under pressure giving the redhounds the lead and they wouldn't look back.  Christ School would put another touchdown on the board deep in the 4th quarter after multiple penalties. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Corbin 35 Christ School (NC) 21
39 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

@Cheese, I don't know anything about Christ School, but based on some highlights I saw from last night it looks like they have some ability. How would you rate this win for Corbin?

Not sure exactly how North Carolina aligns, but Christ School plays in the NCISAA-Division II. They were champions last season and are ranked second in Calpreps to start the year. Their Calpreps rating is roughly equivalent to that of Beechwood and Covington Catholic. I think this was a good win for Corbin.

• Thanks 3

Outside of football, it appears to be an all boys school that allows day students and boarding. Tuition for day students is $31,000 per year; $58,000 for boarders. The school is in a small town called Arden, but very close to Asheville. It is affiliated with the Episcopal Church. Per Wikipedia, the most famous names of former students were all of the Plumlee brothers that played basketball at Duke. It looks like an extremely pretty place on their website.

https://www.christschool.org/admissions/tuition-and-financial-aid

• Thanks 1

Corbin came into this game with high expectations for this season. Being ranked in some polls 3 or 4. The big question marks are always filling the gaps of the previous years graduation. Corbin brings back all there offensive weapons and gained a few. Seth Huff from Knox Central (who didn't play against Christ School) and Brandon Baker from Bell County. One senior from last years team who reclassified. Corbin has a lot of talent, as 36 news put it on paper the most talented team possibly in 4A for this 2021 year. Talent is one thing but putting it all together is another. 

Christ School played a lot of players on both sides of the ball and wasn't very deep. That would prove to come into play in the later parts of the game. Christ School looks like the Franklin or Johnson Central type of players with there size. very athletic team. More of a offense like Franklin though. 

How would I rate this win? As a team looking to make a deep run, getting off to a nice start is always a plus. Being tested early as well helps keep the focus in check. Corbin's Defense stepped up to the plate with the bend but don't break attitude. Baker our kicker held there kickoff return team from making a single return attempt that would give the defense more time to adjust to this high potent offense. 

Corbin offensively was in a battle being undersized to the Christ School defensive line. Corbin offensive line dominated the line of scrimmage and basically in a grind it out type game, Corbin was able to have consistent rushes for 4-7 yards and make for a long day for the Christ school defense.

Overall, I think this was a good win for Corbin. The real test will be when Franklin comes to town in a couple of weeks. Those two teams will be locking horns for RPI positioning and the quest for a State Championship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1