2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics

Colonels_Wear_Blue

13 hours ago, The Raven said:

I am assuming NBC will have the coverage rights in the future as well.  If so, they have 3 years to get themselves together.  I found this years coverage to be the worst in recent memory and the ratings appear to show that.   I know that the 13 hour time difference has a lot to do with it.  But there was a lot of other things left to be desired.  If you are going to use multiple channels and streaming to cover the games, break things up.   I tuned into the Olympics channel on my Fioptics and all that channel was covering was tennis, which few people care about as an olympic event.   The up to the minute Simone Biles coverage didn't help them either (That may just be me because I don't watch gymnastics.) I think a lot of people tired on that really fast.  I realize it was a story that needed to be covered, but cut back and spend more time covering actual events.   2024 Paris won't be much better time wise.  2028 LA will work out fine, but then 2032 is in Brisbane, Australia and they are right back in the Tokyo, Beijing, Sydney time issues again.   They will have to work out the issues, or continue to watch the ratings bottom out.

34 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

I watched a fair amount during week one, not as much during the second week.  A couple of my observations...

Mike Tirico was very smooth as the "host".  On par with what I've come to enjoy from former hosts such as Dan Patrick, Bob Costas and Jim McKay.

Dan Hicks and Rowdy Gaines are hands down the best 1-2 event announcers.  Nobody else is even close.

I really miss Tom Hammond doing the track and field events.  Leigh Diffey (sp?) may be a true professional, but I just felt like I was watching the BBC coverage of the games, with his accent.  

Whoever the lady was that was the color-commentator during the diving portion...REALLY grated my nerves.  Don't know what it was about her, but I had to eventually mute the TV.

Finding when/where certain events were going to be broadcast was often very difficult.  A lot of times I just gave up.

To address some points from these posts:

- It boggles my mind they can't figure out how to broadcast these things more fluidly. A lot of people have intrigue with the basketball and NBA players, who are the most identifiable athletes in the competition. If you wanted to watch them live, with the exception of the Finals, you could only watch them on the Peacock app. Then in "Prime Time" we are watching a mix of live events and events that took place 12-15 hours earlier. It's a jumbled mess.

- The swim coverage is great. Also a shout out to the track coverage. Those guys are great and some of the camera angles they can do now is awesome.

- Mike Tirico is the man. On Friday night during the basketball finals, they lost audio and he jumped in seamlessly.