Say hey! Willie Mays wins lifetime achievement award

"NEW YORK - Willie Mays has won the inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award presented by Baseball Digest.

The Hall of Fame center fielder was honored Thursday with a new accolade to be given recognizing a living individual who has made significant contributions to the national game."

espn.com/mlb/story/mlb-hall-famer-willie-mays-wins-life-achievement-award

Mays was the first superstar I saw play in person - San Francisco vs. Cincinnati at Crosley Field. You couldn't take your eyes off of him.

Had a subscription to Baseball Digest eons ago, and hadn't thought about it until I saw this.

Tip of the cap, "The 'Say hey!' Kid" turns 90 in May.

30351134918.jpg

• Like 1

People ask today about what's the big deal about that catch (especially after seeing so many Top 10 catches on ESPN every night).  I'll tell you what was special about it.  

• It was game 1 of the 1954 World Series and the catch was made at a critical time of the game which the Giants went on to win in extra innings.
  • It was at the Polo Grounds which had a HUGE center field.  
  • The ball was hit 420 feet.
  • Mays was playing shallow, ran straight toward the center field wall, made an over the shoulder catch, wheeled around and fired a throw back to the infield.
  • The runner on 2nd base advanced but could not score.  The runner on 1st base did not advance.
  • Like 1