Oldham County vs. North Oldham Predictions/Updates (29th District Championship)

Top seeded Oldham County takes on North Oldham in the 29th District championship on Friday 3/19 at 7 pm at Oldham County HS.

Free live video coverage begins at 6 pm ET on www.pegasussportsky.com

Oldham County, the top-ranked team in the 8th Region, comes in as the favorites to win their second-straight district crown.    The Colonels have won 10 of the last 11 district championships and have made it to the region tournament as either the champs or the runner-ups all 11 years.

North Oldham last advanced to the region tournament in 2015, and the Mustangs punched their ticket with a convincing 75-63 victory over South Oldham on Tuesday in the semi-finals.   The Mustangs shot 57% from the floor, hit 10 of 20 threes, and sophomore guard Dallas Roberts led the way with 25 points.

Oldham County won the regular season matchup, 81-72, in Goshen, in late January.

Looks like Oldham County hasn't played in a couple of weeks - assume this was a Covid-related pause as opposed to just "playing it safe."  You never know how a team will play the first game after a layoff, but Oldham County could have an off game and still win this one.

I suspect that OC will prevail, but won't be shocked with a North win.  I really had no idea they were 10 of 20 from the three in the South game - that loss was much easier to explain than I was making it!  If you have the defensive ability to stay in front of the two guards (Roberts and Carr-Cole) and, better yet, defend without fouling, you're going to limit North's opportunities.  That's easier said than done, but OC is a good defensive squad.  So this will be an interesting matchup......

To beat North, you need to be able to prevent Dallas Roberts' penetration.   He makes everything happen on those powerful drives.   If Oldham can keep him in front - no easy task - then Oldham's task gets much easier.      South never solved the "Dallas problem" in the semi-finals....

To beat Oldham, you definitely have to find a way to keep the Colonels off the glass - also no easy task as the Colonels have waves of big men to throw at you - and you must challenge every shot, as OC shoots so well.   

I think the layoff certainly won't help Oldham, but they have been practicing this week, I know, so perhaps the game layoff rust may not be so pronounced.    We've all seen teams that played a game the first day they were allowed to get together as a group, and those games were often disasters. 

I think this very well could be a more exciting game than the regular season matchup - which was a thrilling, up-tempo affair that ultimately was decided by just 9 points, with Oldham winning.

I'll try to post updates as I can, but it's hard to do many updates during the broadcast.

The free, live video coverage begins early tonight, with a one-hour pregame show.   On air at 6 pm ET.....www.pegasussportsky.com