Roethlisberger Not Gone Yet

14 hours ago, catholicdude said:

I'll give you the potentially "Great QB."  However that is totally reliant on him getting back to 100% and getting a line to protect him.  Past that, you are reaching: 

"Motivated Coach" just means the he hasn't done enough to have a secure job.

"A few players away" is correct if by "a few" you mean about 15 that are substantially better than the current players at that position.  

"Capable of beating anyone..."   Any team in the NFL is capable of beating anyone on a given Sunday.  Good teams get that done, the Bengals do not.  "Coming Close" to winning a game, isn't winning a game.  On the PGA Tour, if you come close, you still win a bunch of money.  In the NFL if you come close, you are just a Looser.

What about the biased fanboy part!? 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2021 at 11:34 AM, futurecoach said:

True if you want to pick one game out to focus on, that is a tough one to look at to get excited about. Or you could look at how they with Burrow beat a playoff team in the Titans. With Burrow had two other playoff teams in the Colts and Browns (second game) beat and ended up blowing it. Could look at how the Bengals finally over came two areas in one game that had be a huge problem for them for many years. In being able to beat the Steelers, and also winning in prime time. They were able to overcome both in one game, a game where they were basically starting a third string QB. Missing their starting RB, starting LT, starting TE, etc. and still ended up getting the prime time woes and Steelers monkey off their back. 

Are they going to flip that around and be true super bowl contenders by this season? Probably not. Did they show enough, to where it is reasonable to think that they could make a big jump and be a playoff team this year depending how FA and the draft goes? Absolutely. 

Good points.  However, reality hits me hard on this.  The Bengals teased us a couple times last year with surprising wins, but they finished 4-11-1 after all.  A mark of a good team is not one that beats superior teams like the Titans and Steelers and then also plays poorly against the likes of the four teams in the NFC East.  That is the biggest of teases.  I also am curious about free agency and the draft.  I am not encouraged about next year.  I think the Ravens and Browns are only going to get better.  I'm think the Steelers will have a couple less wins, but be a better team than this year (if that makes sense).  The Bengals are a mystery to me, but I think they might win 6 games next year.  I'm hoping that Burrow will not be "gun shy" after his injury.

I will tell you how I am encouraged - reading about someone like Elizabeth Blackburn - the great granddaughter of Paul Brown.  She is the new team Director of Strategy and Engagement.  She was the one responsible for all the new season ticket package benefits like the "Canopy Crazies" and partnering with minority owed businesses.  She seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for wanting the team to win.  Hopefully, she will get more responsibility.  We have certainly complained a lot on this site about the mindset and practices of the current Bengals management and we all hope that things get better from the top down.

• Like 1