Boyle County Basketball

Was sitting here and thinking about the Rebels start to this year (11-1) and thought that I would to some research.  Going back into the KHSAA and looking back all the way to the 97/98 season (that's the furthest that I could go back) and looking at the first 12 games (24 seasons),  I have found out that Boyle has had 12 season where they have had a winning record, 2 seasons that were ties and 10 seasons with losing records. 

Coach Pittman was coaching Boyle from the 97/98 season to the 01/02 season where he had a 10-2 season in 97/98.  Boyle beat Southwestern in the 12 Region finals and went on to lose to Fleming County in the first round of the State 57-49.  Andy Moberly took over in the 02/03 season and only coached 2 seasons.  Coach Ronnie Bottoms then took over for the next 4 seasons where his best record was 7-5 in the 07/08 season.  The next coach to take over the reins at Boyle was Coach Steve Adams, who would go on to coach at Boyle for the next 11 seasons.  Coach Adams best start in 12 games was 10-2 in the 14/15 and 15/16 seasons with Boyle going on to the semi finals of the State Tournament.  The 15/16 season seen the Rebels lose to Casey County in the 2nd round of the 12 Region 60-57.  

That led us to Coach Dennie Webb who took over last year and went 7-5.  This year Coach Webb has the Rebels off to their best start in 24 years at 11-1 and the only lose is to Somerset 72-68.  In that game the Rebels where not up to full strength and was without their Head Coach (Coach Darryl Adams took over and did a great job if I might say so).  Can the Rebels get back to the State again this year?  First thing is to win the next game and so on.  That would leave the District and then the Region so only one thing at a time.  The Rebels are playing really good at this time but I don't think that they have played their best ball yet.  Go REBELS!!

• Like 4

The talent is definitely there for the rebels and they play hard. The key for Boyle is they have some really good depth on roster. I think they could very well be in the sweet 16 if they keep improving. Boyle's younger players are starting to play better. Those pieces along with Imfield, Carr, Shepperson & Webb  could prove to be a tough opponent come Regional tourney time. Unless some teams improve they should win the 45th but this has been an interesting year. 

• Like 1

Yes they can win the region, and should be one of the favorites to do so with the talent/experience they have.  Considering the collapse they experienced last season losing to Danville after having a big lead they should be chomping at the bit come tournament time.

This might be my boilerplate answer for all regional tournaments, but it’s all about the draw. They will most certainly be my number 1 heading in, barring a late regular season upset. But the question is can they beat 3 top four teams if that’s how the draw works out?