Bluegrasspreps.com 3rd Region Week 3 Review

1. Owensboro Catholic Aces (7-1) SAME- The Aces lost their first game of the season over the weekend to Desales, 57-46. They blew out Union County to open the week behind 31 points from Brian Griffith. The Aces have Christian County, Hopkinsville and University Heights scheduled this week. 

2. Muhlenberg County Mustangs (4-2) SAME - The Mustangs beat Butler County to open the week but fell to Hopkinsville on Friday. They bounced back with a nice win over Logan County Saturday. Trey Lovell suffered an injury that will cause him to miss some time. The Mustangs have Mclean scheduled on Thursday for the number 1 seed in the 10th district. The winner gets a bye into the 3rd Region Tournament. 

3. Owensboro Red Devils (1-1) SAME - Owensboro came out of quarantine with a loss to #4 ranked Evansville Bosse. The Devils have Breckinridge County, Apollo and Daviess County scheduled this week. 

4. Meade County Greenwave (4-0) SAME - Stayed unbeaten with wins against Breckinridge County and Whitesville Trinity this week. Have Henderson Cloverport and Hancock County scheduled this week. 

5. Mclean County Cougars (6-2) UP 2 - Got wins over Ohio County and Breckinridge County this week. The win over Ohio sets up a big game against Muhlenberg County this Thursday for the number 1 seed in district and a bye into the regional tournament.  They also have Butler County and Crittenden County this week. 

6. Grayson County Cougars (5-2) UP 3 - Picked up 3 straight wins vs Edmonson County, Apollo and Whitesville Trinity. Have games scheduled against Butler County, Edmonson and Nelson County scheduled this week. 

7. Edmonson County Wildcats (4-2) UP 1 - broke their two game losing streak with a win against Butler County. Have Hart County, Grayson County and Daviess County on the schedule this week. 

8. Ohio County Eagles (2-4) DOWN 3 - The Eagles dropped both games to Mclean County and Henderson County this week. They have Apollo, Breckinridge County and John Hardin scheduled this week. 

9. Daviess County Panthers (2-3) DOWN 3 - The Panthers have been quarantined all week. They have Edmonson and Owensboro scheduled this week. 

10. Hancock County Hornets (1-3) SAME - The Hornets have been quarantined all week. They have Meade County scheduled for a big 11th district game this week. 

11. Apollo Eagles (1-6) UP 1 - Apollo lost to Grayson County and Union County this week. The Eagles have South Warren, Ohio County and Owensboro scheduled this week. 

12. Butler County Bears (0-4) DOWN 1 - lost to Muhlenberg and Edmonson County this week. They seek their first win of the season against Grayson County, Mclean County and Whitesville Trinity this week. 

13. Breckinridge County Tigers (2-5) SAME - The Tigers beat Cloverport but lost to Meade County and Mclean County. This week they will face Owensboro, Bullet East and Ohio County. 

14. Whitesville Trinity Raiders (1-4) SAME - The Raiders suffered 3 straight losses to Meade County, Grayson County and Crittenden County this past week. They will face Butler County and Hopkins Central this week. 

15. Cloverport Aces (0-8) SAME - Lost Breckinridge County, Whitesville Trinity and Trigg this week. The Aces face Meade County and Todd Central this week. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m on the road for business this week so I had to use my phone to post this weeks rankings. Apologies for any spacing issues. 

Through the first 3 weeks of the season, it appears the region is a 3 team race but Meade County and Mclean County are both off to great starts. Anyone outside the Top 5 has some serious work to do to prove they have a shot to compete inside this region. 

Weak. Weak. Weak. Weak.

This is as weak as I’ve seen the 3rd in the 16 years I’ve lived here.

In their defense, it could be COVID and the late start/start/stop etc. It may be across the state. I haven’t seen but one team from outside the region. It just seems exceptionally weak this year.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:16 AM, Purple88 said:

Hoping both BG and Owensboro can get out of and stay out of Covid protocols respectively and meet a little bit later in the season!

Great report!

We were talking about coming down to broadcast that game if we are allowed in.  If it even happens, of course.  Owensboro played pretty well against Bosse and Bosse looked like a whole different level of basketball compared to most teams in the 3rd.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 8:25 PM, wrn1979 said:

Weak. Weak. Weak. Weak.

This is as weak as I’ve seen the 3rd in the 16 years I’ve lived here.

In their defense, it could be COVID and the late start/start/stop etc. It may be across the state. I haven’t seen but one team from outside the region. It just seems exceptionally weak this year.

Its pretty rough.  I feel like any of the top 3 could work their way into the top 25, which is as good as its been at the top in the past 2-3 years.  Anything after that is way down.  A lot of 3rd region varsity basketball resembles more of a JV level.  I hate to put it that way, but unfortunately, its the hard truth.

5 hours ago, ApolloFan98 said:

We were talking about coming down to broadcast that game if we are allowed in.  If it even happens, of course.  Owensboro played pretty well against Bosse and Bosse looked like a whole different level of basketball compared to most teams in the 3rd.

I just saw where the Red Devils are in Covid right now.  Hate that.  BG is hopefully going to finally come out of it on Friday after missing something like 7 games because of it.  Not as bad as JCPS kids but still terribly disrupting.