Has Geno Atkins played his last game as a Bengal?

theguru

According to Tyler Dragon of the Cincinnati Enquirer that may be the case:

From the Cincy Jungle:

He’s set to have a cap hit of $14.8 million in 2021 and $16.05 million in 2022. If released this coming offseason, the Bengals will save $12.2 million but be on the hook for $2.6 million in dead cap.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/12/16/22178575/nfl-rumors-bengals-news-geno-atkins-contract-2021-free-agents

I love Geno but I understand this move.

Agree?  Disagree?

37 minutes ago, theguru said:

According to Tyler Dragon of the Cincinnati Enquirer that may be the case:

From the Cincy Jungle:

He’s set to have a cap hit of $14.8 million in 2021 and $16.05 million in 2022. If released this coming offseason, the Bengals will save $12.2 million but be on the hook for $2.6 million in dead cap.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/12/16/22178575/nfl-rumors-bengals-news-geno-atkins-contract-2021-free-agents

I love Geno but I understand this move.

Agree?  Disagree?

I see no way they could keep him for that price. Save the 12 million and move on. I still think he can contribute for another team if he is fully healthy, but you can’t chance paying him that much again if you are the Bengals. 

There are a lot of players the Bengals probably should move on from or not sign back this off season that would save them money. They already traded Dunlap. Then not signing Green back and releasing Atkins saves some. Then not signing Shawn Williams back also helps. Then I think you seriously look into cutting Hart and Bernard. You can’t keep a backup running back for that price. 

Use all that money you saved to try to keep players like a Lawson or Jackson, and probably extending Bates before going into this last year. Then from there go all in on for the offense, specifically the line. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I see no way they could keep him for that price. Save the 12 million and move on. I still think he can contribute for another team if he is fully healthy, but you can’t chance paying him that much again if you are the Bengals. 

There are a lot of players the Bengals probably should move on from or not sign back this off season that would save them money. They already traded Dunlap. Then not signing Green back and releasing Atkins saves some. Then not signing Shawn Williams back also helps. Then I think you seriously look into cutting Hart and Bernard. You can’t keep a backup running back for that price. 

Use all that money you saved to try to keep players like a Lawson or Jackson, and probably extending Bates before going into this last year. Then from there go all in on for the offense, specifically the line. 

Great minds fc, I agree on all counts.

2021 here we come. 🙂

• Like 1