Owensboro 42 Graves County 21

Brown

Owensboro punted once.  They were in the RZ in the 2nd and Wimsatt hit Rogers over the middle.  Rogers bobbled the flick it up in the air right to a Graves guy.  Wimsatt threw an INT with 5 seconds before half trying to get something downfield.  Devils offense moved it at will.  Graves has a very experienced and tough offensive unit.  QB is solid (he needs more chances tho) McKee is #1 in 5A rushing and for good reason, very good at cutting and patient.  Graves line is big and physical.  Graves ran the clock down on every play, which is the best strategy you can have against Wimsatt and moved the ball.  Graves went for it on 4th a couple times and the Devils D stuffed them.  Devils D played a good game and are coming along nicely.  Gough was everywhere and Hines and Goodwin had some big plays.  New center this week in #55, he is a load and did a good job.  I look to see Graves again in 2nd round, and IMO are a top 10 5A team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Owensboro 42 Graves County 21

Graves surprisingly had more yards from the stats I saw. 3 plays stick out to me in this game.

The opening kickoff. Graves player could not pick up the ball on about the 25. Owensboro gets it and puts it in the endzone 7 points. Opening half kickoff Owensboro took back was another 7. Then the backup Rb fumbling and Owensboro scoops and score. That’s 21 points you gave them without Wimsatt behind center. Not many teams going to win that game against Owensboro.

excluding 1 half this Graves team has been solid all season. McKee, Brown, and the two big receivers get a lot of attention, as they should, but Graves has deepened a lot on some sophomores in key positions. To me that’s encouraging for this district matchup we will see over the next few years.

Owensboro definitely the more athletic team, but I’m excited about playing them again.