September 26, 20197 yr WWE issued a press release in which the company announced its new broadcast teams. Monday Night Raw on USA: Vic Joseph (Play-By-Play), Dio Maddin (Analyst), & Jerry Lawler (Analyst) Wednesday Night NXT on USA: Mauro Ranallo (Play-By-Play), Nigel McGuiness (Analyst), & Beth Phoenix (Analyst) Friday Night Smackdown on Fox: Michael Cole (Play-By-Play), Corey Graves (Analyst), & Renee Young (Special Contributor) From what I've read, Tom Phillips is being moved to a producer's role. That's a shame, because I thought Phillips was the best Play-By-Play guy. I haven't seen anything regarding Byron Saxton's status.
September 26, 20197 yr Author There will also be a new one-hour studio show called "WWE Backstage," which will air on Tuesday nights at 11:00 pm on FS1 starting November 5th. It will be hosted by Renee Young & Booker T. It will also heavily feature Cathy Kelley. The show "will be shot under the auspices of Fox and not WWE."
September 26, 20197 yr WWE issued a press release in which the company announced its new broadcast teams. Monday Night Raw on USA: Vic Joseph (Play-By-Play), Dio Maddin (Analyst), & Jerry Lawler (Analyst) Wednesday Night NXT on USA: Mauro Ranallo (Play-By-Play), Nigel McGuiness (Analyst), & Beth Phoenix (Analyst) Friday Night Smackdown on Fox: Michael Cole (Play-By-Play), Corey Graves (Analyst), & Renee Young (Special Contributor) From what I've read, Tom Phillips is being moved to a producer's role. That's a shame, because I thought Phillips was the best Play-By-Play guy. I haven't seen anything regarding Byron Saxton's status. Thanks for posting all of that @Randy Parker WWE just can't leave these announcer teams alone and it is one of a few reasons I have backed way away from WWE, I currently have four episodes on my DVR waiting to be watched. I agree Phillips is awesome, huge loss, and after Corey Graves Byron Saxton runs circles around everyone else. And the whole Friday night thing miffs me a little. I realize the WWE is going all in with their best team for the move to Fox but at the same time this looks like a departure from Renee Young (which is a good thing) but does that mean the WWE is only going to go with two announcers on Friday night? In short, I think the WWE changes these teams around way, way too much.
September 26, 20197 yr There will also be a new one-hour studio show called "WWE Backstage," which will air on Tuesday nights at 11:00 pm on FS1 starting November 5th. It will be hosted by Renee Young & Booker T. It will also heavily feature Cathy Kelley. The show "will be shot under the auspices of Fox and not WWE." I know right, the WWE is so silly sometimes. They keep giving us more when less would be more.
September 26, 20197 yr Author I agree Phillips is awesome, huge loss, and after Corey Graves Byron Saxton runs circles around everyone else. And the whole Friday night thing miffs me a little. I realize the WWE is going all in with their best team for the move to Fox but at the same time this looks like a departure from Renee Young (which is a good thing) but does that mean the WWE is only going to go with two announcers on Friday night? The Phillips, Saxton, & Graves trio is great. A lot of people don't realize that Graves has an ongoing thing where he tries to crack the other two up live, on the air. My understanding with Friday night is that Fox has requested two-person teams. That's been the scuttlebutt for quite some time, but no official word from WWE. But by classifying Renee Young as a "Special Contributor," my guess is that's what they're going to do. She's terrible as an analyst anyway, but she thrives as an interviewer & pre-show host.
September 26, 20197 yr The Phillips, Saxton, & Graves trio is great. A lot of people don't realize that Graves has an ongoing thing where he tries to crack the other two up live, on the air. My understanding with Friday night is that Fox has requested two-person teams. That's been the scuttlebutt for quite some time, but no official word from WWE. But by classifying Renee Young as a "Special Contributor," my guess is that's what they're going to do. She's terrible as an analyst anyway, but she thrives as an interviewer & pre-show host. That doesn't make any sense to me. "Hey WWE, step up to a major network but abandon what got you here, Sincerely Fox." I agree Renee is much, much better in those part time roles.
September 26, 20197 yr Author They keep giving us more when less would be more. Agree. Less is more. But I also understand the motive, which is money, of course. They're getting about $500 million a year starting in October just for Television rights deals with Fox & NBC Universal. That doesn't count the huge money they're bringing in from doing two Saudi Arabia shows a year. That's some big-time cash.
September 26, 20197 yr Author That doesn't make any sense to me. "Hey WWE, step up to a major network but abandon what got you here, Sincerely Fox." I agree Renee is much, much better in those part time roles. Does Fox football have two-man booths? My understanding is that they want to present WWE as a more sports-centered show rather than sports entertainment.
September 26, 20197 yr Does Fox football have two-man booths? My understanding is that they want to present WWE as a more sports-centered show rather than sports entertainment. Does Pro Football have predetermined outcomes? Apples and Oranges for sure...
September 26, 20197 yr Agree. Less is more. But I also understand the motive, which is money, of course. They're getting about $500 million a year starting in October just for Television rights deals with Fox & NBC Universal. That doesn't count the huge money they're bringing in from doing two Saudi Arabia shows a year. That's some big-time cash. Totally, I get it.
September 26, 20197 yr Author Does Pro Football have predetermined outcomes? Apples and Oranges for sure... I don't disagree. I don't see how a two-person booth would make something more sports-oriented than a three-person one.
September 26, 20197 yr I don't disagree. I don't see how a two-person booth would make something more sports-oriented than a three-person one. Exactly and additionally it is sports entertainment and for the best engagement in wrestling the announcers have a lot they need to get across to you on a regular basis and ideally that is three announcers working together. It also blows up the whole heal/face balance in the announcing.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.