Ironton (OH) 10 Russell 0

GOREDDEVILS

Not the outcome I was hoping for, but it was pretty much the type of game I expected. Big hitting for four quarters and a lot of bruised, battered, and tired kids at the conclusion.

I'd like to see a slow motion replay of the Ironton touchdown. It wasn't initially clear if Carrico had control of the ball. My immediate reaction was that he never established control, but I can't say for sure.

Russell's passing game has a long way to go. They might have success throwing this year on their own terms, but when forced to throw it, they couldn't make anything happen. I'll say this though, the Red Devils are tough and can bang with just about anybody. Nathan Conley is every bit the

player his brother was, and nights like tonight show why he's one of the more underrated players in 3A and EKY. He was outstanding on both sides of the ball.

Hats off to Ironton, they made one or two more plays than Russell and got the job done. They're nowhere near their Bob Lutz peak, but they look better this season than they have in at least a decade. They should be right in the thick of the D5 picture in Ohio.