Girls Field Hockey

The Guru has just added Girl's Field Hockey as a sport on BGP. This is a very popular sport in the Louisville area, and, I believe in the Cincinnati area.

For those who might be interested in the game, Sacred Heart Academy in Louisville is holding the 47th Annual Apple Tournament this week and weekend at the school. All levels have divisions (Frosh, JV, Varsity), and both private and publics are playing.

The Guru has just added Girl's Field Hockey as a sport on BGP. This is a very popular sport in the Louisville area, and, I believe in the Cincinnati area.

For those who might be interested in the game, Sacred Heart Academy in Louisville is holding the 47th Annual Apple Tournament this week and weekend at the school. All levels have divisions (Frosh, JV, Varsity), and both private and publics are playing.

The Apple Tournament is a very big deal in Louisville among field hockey afficionados.

Right As Rain Tigercat and tcjkbt! I'm happy to announce that Dupont Manual defeated Sacred Heart Academy 1-0 last night in the Varsity A Final of the Apple Tournament! It was the first public school to win the main varisty division in 47 years! That's a Big Deal!

As tcjkbt said, the Apple Tourney is a really big deal in Louisville as all the teams here play field hockey and compete in this tournment.

I still don't understand how it got sanctioned by the KHSAA, since only the Louisville Area plays it and coming from BG I knew nothing of it. But one of my daughters played it for a while and it has grown on me. I hope it grows in the state. You would need 2 divisions thought because the new schools couldn't compete with schools who have been playing for roughly 50 years.

Go Manual!

This is a piece of an article from the Louisville Courier Journal this morning:

"For the first time in the history of the Apple Tournament, a public school squad has claimed the prestigious high school field hockey tournament.

Hallie Baisis scored less than 10 minutes into Monday's final at Sacred Heart, and that was enough to give the Crimsons a 1-0 victory over the host Valkyries.

The Crimsons (4-1) defense, led by tournament MVP Meela Kopp, kept the Valkyries (4-1) from posing much of a threat the rest of the night.

It was a near 180-degree turn from the opening game of the tournament, which the Crimsons lost 3-1 to Sacred Heart.

"We have a great group of seniors, and we're a veteran team with a few really strong young players sprinkled in there," Crimsons coach Brittany Vencill said.

In the B-Division final, North Oldham beat Eastern 3-2. Senior Peyton Hobson earned MVP honors for the Mustangs."

It was a great tournament. My Granddaughters play for SHA-one on varsity, and one on JV.

Like many out there, I didn't know much about the sport since I had sons, but it is exciting, especially as you get to the JV and varsity levels. Many girls from the Louisville area are able to secure scholarships from many excellent colleges, including Wake Forest, North Carolina, Syracuse, Indiana, Cal-Davis, Miami of Ohio, Louisville, Bellarmine etc.

BTW, SHA won the Freshman and JV divisions, defeating I think Manual in each. Looks like a budding rivalry growing.

This is spot on Tiger! Sacred Heart always has a great team!

They are one of the favorites to win the State Championship this year.

I'd say Sacred Heart, Manual, Assumption and Ballard are likely the top 4 right now with that 4th spot open to debate.

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend three of Louisville's finest will travel to Pennsylvania for MaxPreps National Invitational. They are Manual (#15 nationally), Sacred Heart (# 18), and Assumption.

The competition is for the best schools nationally, and regionally.

SHA will play New Trier (NJ) #11 nationally and # 1 Midwest; The Hill (Pa.) #14; and Notre Dame (Md.) #10, Mid-Atlantic.

Manual and SHA are ranked #2 and 3 in the West/Midwest.