Boyd County 63 Russell 47 (16th Region Championship)

First things first, congratulations to Boyd County. Clearly the class of the 16th for the third straight year. Best of luck at Rupp.

Russell has nothing to hang their heads about. They laid it all out there and made Boyd earn it. There were certainly things they could have done better. But at the end of the day, Boyd County was just too good. All you can do is tip your cap.

It's hard sometimes to see it right on the heels of a disappointing season ending loss, but Russell's girls will someday look back at this season and see it for what it was… another great season for Russell basketball that further solidifies the foundation and expectations within this program. They won 27 games and reached the region final after losing one of the region's top up and coming players to an injury mid-way through the season. They should expect to be among the very best in the region and playing for a championship every year. That's the standard on the hill.

Great job by Coach Mandy Layne and her players this season.

2nd best in the region isn't too bad now they can strive to be #1 when it comes time for next season.

Good luck to Boyd County at Rupp. Coach Mandy Layne did a tremendous Job to get Russell to the region Final after the loss of Aubrey Hill. Nice core coming back next season. I expect Russell to be a favorite to win the region next season.

Lakie played like a boss again tonight. She had 18 points and 10 boards after posting 19 & 16 last night in the semis. Russell will miss her next year. It's been fun following her development from her sophomore year, when she was sort of the heir apparent to Maggie Jachimczuk's spot in the post, to now. Best post player in the 16th Region for the last two years and a tough competitor.

2nd best in the region isn't too bad now they can strive to be #1 when it comes time for next season.

Good luck to Boyd County at Rupp. Coach Mandy Layne did a tremendous Job to get Russell to the region Final after the loss of Aubrey Hill. Nice core coming back next season.I expect Russell to be a favorite to win the region next season.

Russell will definitely be in the mix, but West Carter returns some talent, as does Ashland. And I'm not going to write off Boyd County. Wheeler gets most of the ink, but Harley Paynter's a player - 21 points/12 rebounds tonight. Maybe the best player in the region next year. There will be three or four teams bunched together at the start of next season. Russell will certainly be one of them. With Kaeli Ross, Malia Blevins, the continued development of Shaelyn Steele, and hopefully a healthy Aubrey Hill, Russell could emerge as the team to beat. But that's a long ways off.

If Hill can stay healthy I think she will be a force next year. She may be the one who tries to replace Sanders down low.

Aubrey's got the tools and athleticism to be special. She'll be hard for anyone in the region to handle if she comes back strong like we all hope she does. It's hard not to wonder what might have been if she hadn't hurt her knee.

45 of Boyds Points Came from Wheeler and Paynter, 24 for Wheeler and 21 for Paynter. Going to be hard to replace 25-30 or more a game.

I don't know what Wheelers average is but I'd say at least 25 a game.

She averages right at about 30 a game. So much of what Boyd does runs through Wheeler and Paynter that the supporting cast seldom gets to shine. They're all busy doing the little things to compliment the pair of future D-1 players. But those girls can play. Rucker, Borders, and Opell will serve as a good supporting cast to Paynter next season. I fully expect Boyd to come back to the pack, but I don't think they'll go away.