Johnson Central - 2019 Schedule

8/23 at Lafayette

8/31 at Capital (WV)

9/13 at South Charleston (WV)

9/20 vs. Sycamore (OH)

9/27 vs. Simon Kenton

10/4 at Clay County (District Game)

10/11 vs. Perry County Central (District Game)

10/18 vs. Harlan County (District Game)

10/25 vs. Letcher County Central (District Game)

11/1 at Belfry

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

One of the immediate differences glancing a the schedule is the absence of Ashland, who drops to 3A in 2019. The Golden Eagles are still looking for two games to fill out the month of September on their schedule. They're hoping to find someone willing to commit to a home and home rather than a single year matchup to fill in the gaps.

I exchanged a few messages with Johson Central's defensive coordinator, Justin Arms - thanks to Coach Arms for getting me the current details on the Golden Eagles' 2019 schedule. But he offered me a lot of great info on the team's outlook for this upcoming season. Rather than trying to interpret what he told me, I think it's best to just let his words stand as-is. Like I said, a lot of good info here:

The most intriguing thing that we could face with our schedule is post-season opponents in the 3rd and 4th round depending on the new ratings system and seeding those rounds. Either way a Region Championship could put us against Boyle, Corbin or possibly Cov Scott depending on how things shake out.

As far as personnel goes, we really will return 8 starters on both sides of the football. Under center will be 4yr starter Ryley Preece. Ryley was the signal caller for us on our 2016 state championship team and has led us to three straight. Very elusive on the edge and can make all the throws on the field when needed. In the backfield we take a hit losing Joe Jackson, but do return FB Bryce Tackett, HB Devin Johnson and Joe will be filled by committee with Senior Cody Rice, Junior Dillon Preston and possibly freshman Mason Lawson. On the offensive line we lose Byron Pierce/Noah Blankenship and Eddie Patrick. However, there are several players who should be able to fill in nicely in those spots that saw valuable minutes during the season and playoffs. I expect Cam Willis, Hunter Scott/Braiden Castle to fill in those slots. We do return C Andrew Clifton as well as Tackle Grant Bingham (6'6" 265lb c/o 2022) whose brother Ethan is at Marshall. At TE we will return Zack Russell, Seth Dalton as well as Ryan Sartin-Slone at the split.

Defensively, we will return 8 starters as well. Up front will take the biggest lick by losing Matthew and Alex Horn who were 2 and 3 year starters. However, much like offense there will be some guys who may be able to step in and not miss a beat up front. At LB, we lose OLB Evan Adkins to graduation but do return OLB Devin Johnson, and LB's Bryce Tackett and Hunter McCloud. In the secondary, we will return starters Dillon Preston at corner along with Cody Rice and Ryley Preece at the safety. The other corner could be played by Grant Rice, a sophomore who saw valuable minutes during the regular season at that position.

Jake Headley will return as a 3 year starter to perform the kicking duties. Overall, I expect us fully to compete at a high level with a senior heavy team but some new challenges stand in place for us to return to Kroger Field.

As far as recruiting goes, Johnson does have a D1 offer from Morehead and has had a host of schools contact him of late including FBS and FCS schools. I expect him to have a big spring and summer. Preece has received interest from some of the academy schools but doesn't have an offer yet.

They beat Henry Clay by 12 last year, and Belfry by 13. I think I'd rather see Henry Clay back on the schedule than Lafayette, assuming Lafayette doesn't take a miraculous step forward this year (Lafayette lost to Henry Clay by 23 last year). The Belfry game is a good one to end the season on. And the game against Capital is strong.

I'm kind of assuming JC is going to go undefeated against their district.

Simon Kenton hasn't listed a complete schedule yet on the KHSAA site, and theu have 9/27 open on their schedule. That would be a great to see JC and SK play each other. Lex Cath would be another good one.

They beat Henry Clay by 12 last year, and Belfry by 13. I think I'd rather see Henry Clay back on the schedule than Lafayette, assuming Lafayette doesn't take a miraculous step forward this year (Lafayette lost to Henry Clay by 23 last year). The Belfry game is a good one to end the season on. And the game against Capital is strong.

I'm kind of assuming JC is going to go undefeated against their district.

Simon Kenton hasn't listed a complete schedule yet on the KHSAA site, and theu have 9/27 open on their schedule. That would be a great to see JC and SK play each other. Lex Cath would be another good one.

From what I've been told JC has contacted Simon Kenton about a future series.

• 1 month later...

Johnson Central has added Simon Kenton to their schedule for September 27th. I agree...it's good seeing those two playing each other!

This is a heck of a good schedule for the Golden Eagles. I like seeing where this is going for them.

• 3 weeks later...
Johnson Central has filled out their schedule by adding a home game against Sycamore (OH) on September 20th.

Is this the same Sycamore that Belfry chose to drop? Belfry seemed concerned about the viability of their program within the OHSAA. Would Johnson Central not have the same worries?

Is this the same Sycamore that Belfry chose to drop? Belfry seemed concerned about the viability of their program within the OHSAA. Would Johnson Central not have the same worries?

I'm assuming this is Sycamore high school in Cincinnati/Montgomery, Ohio and not Bishop Sycamore in Columbus.

The funny thing about the renaming of Bishop Sycamore is that the whole "bishop" name is pretty much exclusively a Catholic school thing, and has to do with naming their schools after ACTUAL bishops and archbishops, like Brossart, Elder, Moeller, Alter, Badin, Fenwick, and so on. Bishop Sycamore is completely un-affiliated with the Catholic church.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue